Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Bye for now, HUSH. I need 9 opponents

And I QUOTE:

[ QUOTE ]
That said, 2 days ago I moved back to full tables, where at last count I managed 1.5BB/100 4-tabling the 15/30 at party. Sure, I've run moderately well my first 2k hands back at 15/30 (and 20/40), but it seems SO much easier. With more multiway pots, decisions are often so much clearer. The truly bad players (50 vpips and such) seem even easier to exploit. The sharks are easier to avoid. I do not have to worry about balancing my play as much, either.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-17-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I QUOTE:

[ QUOTE ]
That said, 2 days ago I moved back to full tables, where at last count I managed 1.5BB/100 4-tabling the 15/30 at party. Sure, I've run moderately well my first 2k hands back at 15/30 (and 20/40), but it seems SO much easier

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Notice he said he managed 1.5 at 15/30 overall, and THEN that he has run ok since coming back to the game. I really doubt he meant the 1.5BB/100 rate to apply to those 2k hands.

Semantics aside, I agree that its difficult to understand how you can beat the 15/30 game for an ok amount but struggle so badly at 5/10. Do you honestly feel like you're being outplayed a alot?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After all, everyone and his brother kills the 5/10-6, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

/mc
Old 07-17-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And I QUOTE:

[ QUOTE ]
That said, 2 days ago I moved back to full tables, where at last count I managed 1.5BB/100 4-tabling the 15/30 at party. Sure, I've run moderately well my first 2k hands back at 15/30 (and 20/40), but it seems SO much easier

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Notice he said he managed 1.5 at 15/30 overall, and THEN that he has run ok since coming back to the game. I really doubt he meant the 1.5BB/100 rate to apply to those 2k hands.

Semantics aside, I agree that its difficult to understand how you can beat the 15/30 game for an ok amount but struggle so badly at 5/10. Do you honestly feel like you're being outplayed a alot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people have an extremely difficult time transition from full to short. It can take up to and maybe even more than 30k hands to properly adjust. There are some fundamental differences that must take place in order for one to feel comfortable in SH play. Perhaps this never transpired.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Semantics aside, I agree that its difficult to understand how you can beat the 15/30 game for an ok amount but struggle so badly at 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't whatshisnuts -- davidross -- crush the 15/30 for a long time, then try 5/10 6-max when he was having a tough run for a bit, and have a really hard time beating the game? I'm surprised too, but I guess that success at 15/30 doesn't mean you're an auto-success at 5/10 6-max.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Semantics aside, I agree that its difficult to understand how you can beat the 15/30 game for an ok amount but struggle so badly at 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't whatshisnuts -- davidross -- crush the 15/30 for a long time, then try 5/10 6-max when he was having a tough run for a bit, and have a really hard time beating the game? I'm surprised too, but I guess that success at 15/30 doesn't mean you're an auto-success at 5/10 6-max.

[/ QUOTE ]

david went from the 5/10 (where he never had a stellar win rate) to the 15/30. He played the 15/30 for quite a while and apparently did really well. then had a really bad run and dropped back down to the 5/10 to rebuild some confidence. Not sure what he is playing now. I assume he moved back up to the 15/30
Old 07-17-2005, 07:32 PM

<<Notice he said he managed 1.5 at 15/30 overall, and THEN that he has run ok since coming back to the game. I really doubt he meant the 1.5BB/100 rate to apply to those 2k hands.

Semantics aside, I agree that its difficult to understand how you can beat the 15/30 game for an ok amount but struggle so badly at 5/10. Do you honestly feel like you're being outplayed a alot?>>

Thank you, and yes, the 1.5 rate is over more than 2k hands. 29k now, actually. Though in the sake of full disclosure, I did find 1000 hands in the wrong database that comprised a bad run, leaving me at 1.4/100 instead, new upswing included. 29k is not enough to to put me on a solid confidence interval, but at +400 BB, I feel I have a right to say "I'm beating this game," if not by a certain amount.

Now as for why these two disparate winrates might be somewhat correct- I tried to outline my suspicions about weaknesses shorthanded in my original post. Of course I *feel* like I ought to be crushing 5/10-6. There are hideous morons everywhere. With a bit of effort there's a pretty good chance I can get at least one vpip >45 fish at all 4 tables, and a smattering of bad to mediocre amoungst a large part of the rest of the opposition. I would love to come here and say it's been atrocious beats everywhere, and I still have faith I'm winning at least 1.5BB/100 there longterm. But it's gotten to the point where I have to admit something is probably not right. I outlined my suspicions of where I need improvement in the original post. I definitely feel like if I'm not doing well in the short game, I'm beating myself.

I really do feel like the correct decision is loud and clear more often at a full table. When 5 people see the flop, you generally don't have to think about whether to bluff for very long, and if you've seen most players act you get a much better picture of whether you're ahead or drawing than you do at shorthanded. When I'm constantly heads up on the flop, and even a lot of the poor players are willing to check-raise bluff on occasion, I have a much tougher time make a confident read. See also original post for additional possible explanations.

The really disturbing thing about all this is that I'm not especially new to shorthanded play. I've been propping for a little over a year now, and have definitely played my share of 2 to 6 handed in that span. Mind you, I've been playing full seriously for a good 4 years, so I still have more experience there, but I would think I'd have shorthanded at least somewhat "figured out" by now.

I know I tend to be rather "bookish" about poker (and life in general)- great with the acadamia of it, but not so gifted with common sense. Another factor at work?

<<6max is like crack.>>
I do plan on coming back, for the sake of completeness of my game. I need to knock out my weaknesses that seem to be mostly masked at full table play. And on that note-

<<if your having trouble at the 5/10 SH, you should drop down to the 3/6 SH. about 1000X weaker than the 5/10. And the 5/10 is weak.>>

May just do that. But I do have to pay the bills.

<<
------------------------------------------------------------
Wrong.>>
Is the sarcasm dectector still broken?

In any case, I have won at least $1000, and as much as $3000, each of the last 4 days while playing full tables, so at the moment I feel significantly more eager to play there.

2nd
Old 07-17-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

<<
Wrong.>>
Is the sarcasm dectector still broken?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the quote tag still broken?

Now THAT's sarcasm! But seriously, folks, I was just trying to express solidarity with your predicament. The "infamously" soft 5/10 6m game has given me some painfully hard times. Just letting you know you aren't the only one.

/mc