Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 02:05 AM

Default My comeuppance: A return to 5/10

("lesson I've learned" sort of post)

I have been playing 15/30 on party skins for quite a while now, and often higher in other places. Everything had gone so well for so long I quit my job in corporate america, which has been so fashionable as of late. I've been at it for a month and I've already had both the largest upswings and downswings of my life.

Shortly after quitting, I got a FP2001 clone, did the 2-monitor thing, and started going for 7-8 tables. Everything went fantastic for about 10 days. When it turned bad, it turned real bad. I am currently on a 15k downswing, almost all of which has occured at 15/30 and $1000 PLO8. I am truly convinced that I have gotten atrocious cards throughout, but with the amount I've lost, I'm also forced to accept that I have not been playing well. When pushing past 4 tables, I was basically making reads off of pt data and nothing else, and timing out as much as 6-8 times an hour, often even postflop. The breaking point was when I was 7-tabling, raised all-in with the nut low and an overpair of aces for high... and when the pot was awarded I realized I was playing omaha hi. Oops. Goodbye $1000.

In the midst of all this I've lost half of my bankroll. I'm not yet in any danger of going broke, but my RoR numbers for playing 15/30 are starting to creep up past insignificant. I have decided that for the remainder of April (or for longer, if necessary), I'm going to play 5/10. Besides the bankroll safety, I need to break a habit I've developed lately of paying off way too much. So far I've found the players considerably less tricky, which should help me rebuild confidence in making thos laydowns where appropriate. I've also determined that if I should ever try to push past 4 tables again, I'm going to force myself to post medium-term wins doing it at 3/6 rather than starting up higher.

Why did I write this? I sort of feel like "confessing my sins" in a public forum will help me keep from repeating them. In addition, I suppose it's a "it could happen to you" warning. You can cruise along a 2+BB/hr for a long long time and still end up acting the fool for an semi-extended period... at least, I know I can. You can also step down in limits and live will go on. There's no shame in.. nevermind, there is a little bit of shame to it. But it's better than going broke.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: My comeuppance: A return to 5/10

When multi-tabling a large number of tables, do NOT play different games. Since there's so much going on your mind has to be set in one direction, playing different games just confuses you and you end up making wrong decisions. I think you could continue playing the stakes you're playing but obviously play less tables and do what was working for you before.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:12 AM

great post.

There's no shame in.. nevermind, there is a little bit of shame to it.

haha i remeber the first time i had to drop down.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
great post.

There's no shame in.. nevermind, there is a little bit of shame to it.

haha i remeber the first time i had to drop down.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride f**king with you. F**k pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps. "
Old 04-11-2005, 02:20 AM

Good post, and good luck getting back on track. Just having the discipline to take a step back down in the limits shows you are much less likely to go broke than most players.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:22 AM

I am going through a similar bad run. I am going to drop down from 15/30 full, and play 5/10 or 10/20 short for the time being. I imagine it will take some adjusting.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:35 PM

This is a great post. A couple of suggestions.

After a few more months I am going to add a second monitor. But not too play 8-tables. I am going to add it so I can keep the lobbies up and scout for games. By four tabling and constantly being in good games, I don't think you would be giving up too much (as compared with playing 6-8 tables)

My second suggestion is with mixing games. I play PLO8 after I have my Hold-em hands in for the week. I find it hard enough to concentrate playing three-tables without switching gears between games.

Good luck.