Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 01:42 AM

Default I think this play might be a bit rough around the edges

I've had to table hop a lot to keep finding the loose tables, so I had only been at this table for 15 hands or so, in those hands villain has been fairly loose(40ish vpip) and passive. Sample size is way too small for me to accurately determine his postflop aggression though.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

This is standard for me, I don't feel like AJo has enough of an edge against limpers to raise it.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

I felt like someone would have raised AK or AQ preflop so I probably had the best hand, but I decided to wait for the turn to check raise on a safe looking card or keep the pot relatively small and maybe be able to bail on a dangerous turn card.

Turn: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Turn check raise was successful, but he 3 bet me so I couldn't be sure whether he had hit a set or if he was star struck by catching trips on the turn, but I figured that with a cold caller in between the dead money padding the pot would make a cap worth it.

River: (18.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

I still think my hand is probably good, I still don't see him having me outkicked, my only fear is that he's filled up somewhere along the way. I bet out because I had capped the turn so it seemed natural, but I was fearful enough when he raised yet again to slow it down.

Final Pot: 24.50 BB

Please make some revisions to my line and explain your reasoning, thanks.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: I think this play might be a bit rough around the edges

[ QUOTE ]

This is standard for me, I don't feel like AJo has enough of an edge against limpers to raise it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's offsuit and out of position in this particular instance you might have an argument. But if you're not raising limpers from LP with this hand you're not playing good poker.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:52 AM

Your whole line of thinking is based on "feeling" which seems to have little in the way of reason involved. A raise PF would help you know where you are at, right from the start. Personally, I think you got beat by 23, maybe suited. Villain shows no fear at all when the second ace falls. I might call the turn 3-bet (he 3-bet your checkraise! alarms should go off.) And then check/call the river.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:55 AM

This hand was misplayed on every street IMO. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I'll chime in later.

Brad
Old 01-20-2005, 06:04 AM

Raise PF, as long as you get one of em to fold that would be good enough. You also gotta raise for value, even if it could be razor thin value.

I would 3-bet the flop to see how far ahead or behind I am.

I'd end up calling the check reraise. Unless hes a maniac he's likely to have a better kicker or even a fullhouse.

Checkcall the river.