Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 11-04-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Do I continue after the flop?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You aren't getting rich calling on the board with two low cards. It's about break even. You'll get 1/6 nearly as many times as you get 1/2.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?!?

This is just plain wrong. Assuming your A2 makes the nut low, and assuming nobody folds another A2, it will be the
only one more often than not. I saw a figure of 36% for copy A2 on a website one of the posters here runs, and I have no reason to doubt his math.

As for winding up with 1/6th.... that is a freak result. I see that no more than twice a night in live play (where those morons NEVER dump low if they have an out for the nut low. I love seeing some dork draw at 23 for runner-rnnner low, get there with a miracle Ace and low and STILL get carved up, but I digress).
Besides, the cost of getting only 1/6th of the pot vs. getting only 1/4th is very small, assuming 4 way action as is usual when this happens. Playing 3-6, each bet going in will lose $2 if you are in a three way low split. If you are getting quartered (and assuming only 3 way action) your 6$ bet will lose $1.50. So.... getting chopped up into 3 pieces instead of 2 only costs you fifty cents!

In PL things change, but even in that game worrying about 1/4th vs 1/6th is "monsters under the bed"

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, everyone continues with the hand. This just isn't very exciting. You haven't even mentioned the times the low doesn't get there. In a reasonable game when six people see a flop, you are not going to be the only A2 an overwhelming amount of the time.

If you have 1) no high prospects at all 2) no counterfiet protection and 3) a situation where you are drawing for a quarter of the pot, you don't have much.

You point out that you don't lose much even when you get 1/6, but I think it's important to point out you aren't winning much here either.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Do I continue after the flop?

The other side: On the flop, SB calls , getting 12 to 1 to try to pick up a nut low draw.The odds against him doing this were 5 to 4 against. On the turn, he calls to try to complete his nut low draw getting 10&1/2 to 1 on the money with the odds against him at 3 to 2. Looks pretty good to me. I think he played it right.