Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 04:11 PM

Default What level at Party do you begin to encounter really good players?

I play .50/1 and will admit to being clueless. At what level will I encounter really good players?

What level of online games will I need to be able to beat in order to hold my own at a B&M $10-20 Omaha Hi/Low game? Obviously the only 100% correct answer is, it depends, because each live game is very different. One game might be all rocks and the next might be all maniacs but bear with me a little because I would like your opinion.

Caesar's IN has been spreading a $10-20 Omaha Hi/Low split game and I would like to get a feel for what to expect.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: What level at Party do you begin to encounter really good players?

A good small stakes live game should play like .5/1 or worse. I wouldn't be too worried - you should know in less than an orbit if it's a good table or not.

Generally the higher online games are much tighter, but the tight opponents are not particularly imaginative (and prone to shutting down with non-nut hands vs. any kind of aggression). With one or two really loose/weak players, these games become really good.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:34 PM

I've played $1/2 all the way up to $15/30 and in my experience the players at Party start getting pretty competent at $10/20. I'd be curious as to others' experiences. My results at $10/20 and $15/30 full ring were decent, but I've taken a real liking to the $5/10 6-max games. Full of action junkies. The games have gotten even better since Party dumped the skins. Swings can be enormous though.

As for B&M, I do well at $10/20 and the bulk of my online experience is in $3/6 and $5/10.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:13 PM

Can you make a comparison between online vs B&M? Which level of online plays the most similar to $10-20 live play? I know it is a judgement call but I would like your opinion.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:28 PM

The few times I’ve played O8 live I’d say there was a factor of at least 4x and closer to 8x adjustment (i.e the 4-8 half kill game played like a .5-1 game online)

I think $10-20 is the divider line when played gets significantly better. But you’ll still find some soft spots at that level. $20-40 is a step function up from 10-20 and it plays significantly better and tighter.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$20-40 is a step function up from 10-20 and it plays significantly better and tighter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gerg, you fking dork. "Step function"?

You got yourself into this: explain to me why there is an undefined rate of change (derivative) in level of skill between 10/20 and 20/40. Until then, I'm going to stand by my exponentially weighted cubic spline model describing the ascending skill of opponents in party O8 games.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you make a comparison between online vs B&M? Which level of online plays the most similar to $10-20 live play? I know it is a judgement call but I would like your opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again tough to say, but if you can beat $3-6 online you should be able to hold your own at $10/20 live. The best thing you could do for yourself to prepare for all games is read Ray Zee's O8 book if you haven't. The info in that book has finished furnishing my house and paid for my family vacations the past 3 years, and I'm no expert. Low limit O8 just isn't that hard to beat (crush!) if you do your homework and get some playing experience.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$20-40 is a step function up from 10-20 and it plays significantly better and tighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got yourself into this: explain to me why there is an undefined rate of change (derivative) in level of skill between 10/20 and 20/40. Until then, I'm going to stand by my exponentially weighted cubic spline model describing the ascending skill of opponents in party O8 games.

[/ QUOTE ]
You guys are all [censored] geniuses and [censored] retards at the same time. It's so great. Did I ever mention that I started reading this forum before I ever played a hand of Omaha and only picked up the game because you guys in this forum are so funny that I wanted to have an excuse to keep reading it? Pretty sad, eh?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:10 PM

The boat 3-6 full kill game is equal to .5 1. Maybe even worse see them do things that are totally ridiculous. But you have probaly played that game. I didnt know they had a 10-20 game now, but I havent been in a bit. I live in Lexington.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, go to www.o8poker.com, then click "tools", then click "Differences in play by limit".

There you will see empirical, factual data that clearly shows a signficant jump from $10-20 to $20-40 for both average and winning players in nearly all important PT metrics including the following: PFR, FlopAgr, TurnAgr, RiverAgr, WonWhenSawFlop. There is also a clear decrease in VPIP.

I'll wait til you retake Engineering for FckTards so you can calculate for yourself the derivative of each variable shown. Be advised that my choice of 'step function' was carefully selected over 'exponential', 'dramatic' and 'ascending' to most accurately reflect the data.

i'm so sorry your post-graduate education has shown such a poor return. However, I think you know where you can stick your cubic spline...

-g