Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2004, 12:53 AM

Default Re: psychology of folding

Respect, fear, perhaps even awe? What can I say, I rule the .5-1 tables with an iron fist.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:30 AM

Folding instead of checking can have an impact on the hand, something which can, at times, be taken advantage of. Three handed pot, for example, first to act just folds on the river, well, I often bet that because I don't have to worry about that individual setting me up for a check-raise and now I'm heads-up. That said, I am not a fan of people folding with no prior action - I wouldn't mind at all if sites stopped this practice altogether. Even if I make a position raise with an 8 5, it is not necessarily a bad thing that people see that hand - they may be more inclined to call you down the next time when you have a legitimate hand. Just my thoughts.

Bug
Old 09-28-2004, 06:47 AM

Hate to admit it, but sometimes I check-fold. But it's rare. The only time I do it is when I limped in close to the button in an INCREDIBLY loose-passive game and I don't want people to see my trash because they might start getting more aggresive pre-flop.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:18 PM

I'm a little late to this party, but my two cents...

I sometimes do a pre-emptive fold. Like if I hold a speculative hand like 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the flop comes out a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] k [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] t [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Now there's not any two cards in the deck that will fix the problems with this hand. but lets say I catch runner 7s, I'll feel like dumping a bunch of money into the pot. Also if it gets checked around a couple of times I'll feel like throwing a bluff into the mostly empty pot, which is how I lose money if I'm not paying enough attention.

So basically I fold to a check to guard against my own stupidity in certain extreme situations. I've done it maybe five times in all my games of poker.

Kafka
Old 09-30-2004, 08:46 PM

If multitabling on my laptop and I have a good but tricky situation on one table and poor prospects on the other, I will just fold the latter since I don't want that table to keep popping up in my face. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2004, 11:13 PM

perhaps folding when one should check is the 9th mistake in poker?
Old 09-30-2004, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
perhaps folding when one should check is the 9th mistake in poker?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I just need to use the john real quick and my hand isn't worth waiting 3 minutes while 2 people time out and lose connection.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:20 AM

When I need to take a dump and my hand is trash.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:35 PM

Default One effect might be...

when you fold a few hands when you could've checked, and you check in a later hand, people may fear a check-raise because if you weren't interested in the hand you'd be likely to fold as you had before.

That was one sentence.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:10 AM

I really don't understand this move, but I'm guessing it's the only way they can prevent themsleves from being tempted to call a bet if they catch a small peice of the board on the river. It's the ONLY logical reason I can think of for plaayers to do this.