Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 03:48 AM

Default 5/10 one card flush draw turns top pair

I called this preflop because I felt I had enough of an edge postflop against these players to want to see a lot of flops. Don't have any specific reads on the BB but I had been playing very lag at the table so far and I feel he could be taking a stand. How do you guys like flop and turn lines?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($405)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($4623.25)</font>
<font color="#C00000">BB ($688)</font>
UTG ($981)
MP ($667.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($30) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $65</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $45.

Turn: ($160) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2400</font>.

Final Pot: $2660
Old 10-28-2005, 04:01 AM

Default Re: 5/10 one card flush draw turns top pair

Fold flop. You don't have pot odds, and you're not getting paid if you hit.

On the turn, your play is really strong, and you are representing the nuts or some other big flush. Knowing he can't have the nuts and that he can't know that you don't have them increases your fold equity quite a bit, I think. However, since player is LAG, there are many worse hands that he could be playing here that you should try to get value out of, and a raise gets rid of those hands.

I think check/call turn, check/call blank river, lead diamond river (maybe c/r against the right guy) is the way to go against this player.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:35 AM

Basically you're betting that BB is on a steal. 4-handed that's possible, especially if you've been very aggressive and he decided to take a stand.

Only hand I see calling you that doesn't have you beat is something like TsQd. Essentially you're bluffing. A bluff that needs to be successful 80% of the time just to break even isn't that great. OOP I'd let this one go on the flop.

Kirk
Old 10-28-2005, 02:20 PM

Nobody thinks that with my loose image I may get a call from a medium strength hand trying to pick off a bluff? i.e. somethnig like a Jack with a good kicker? I just recently moved up to 5/10 so I'm not really sure how common it is but it seems to me many players like to make these "big calls".

Also I'd like to point out that this "bluff" doesn't need to be successful anywhere near 80% of the time. Depending on what I get called by, my trips and two pair outs could be good. Really the only that hands that have me in bad shape are a set, a better ace, or the flopped flush. Everything else I have a solid 17 outs against (2 Aces, 3 Sixes, 9 Diamonds, and 3 of whatever card will pair the board to give me a high two pair).
Old 10-28-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Nobody thinks that with my loose image I may get a call from a medium strength hand trying to pick off a bluff? i.e. somethnig like a Jack with a good kicker? I

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's pretty rare, unless that kicker is an A, MAYYYYBE Kd.

[ QUOTE ]
Also I'd like to point out that this "bluff" doesn't need to be successful anywhere near 80% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying that this play is -EV, just that I think calling down is more +EV.

[ QUOTE ]
Really the only that hands that have me in bad shape are a set, a better ace, or the flopped flush.

[/ QUOTE ]
These are the only hands that call, with the occational two pair in there.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:04 AM

The reason why I say only hand that calls is one that's likely to have you beat is because at this point it's very hard to put you on a bluff - bet/call, check/check-raise all in... you've done a good job of representing a real hand, so it's hard to put you on a steal.

You're right, I thought you had the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] which does change the picture quite a bit. Hmmm...

Kirk