Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-30-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Why do so many MTG players end up getting into poker??

Disclaimer: I know nearly nothing about magic the gathering, other than it is a fantasy-style role-playing card game taken very seriously by those who play it, with leagues, tournaments and rankings.

With this article about Jordan B., though it feels like everywhere you turn there's another pro who got his start playing MTG. I would have thought that chess (which i played) or even backgammon would be more likely foundation-building games than MTG, but maybe that's because i don't know enough about it. What's the allure for the kids who play it, and why do those same attributes turn them toward poker?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Why do so many MTG players end up getting into poker??

I think a lot of the people who play it tend to be nerdy types who have a lot of time to devote to learning card games and are intensly drawn to the money that poker can bring them so they can "buy" friends, and also drawn to a competitive card game, as they have been playing one for a while. I'm not so sure that MTG actually provides many useful skills at the card table. I played MTG back in elementary/middle school, although not super competitively.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:24 PM

Both are very competitive, fun and profitable card games.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:31 PM

MtG is very strong on adaptablility. You tend to play best of 3 matches vs 6-8 other players in a day long MtG tourney and as you each are playing decks of your own design you get very used to adapting from player to player real fast. You also have a similar situation in that the turn of one card can dramatically alter the position and you may need to then switch from offence to defence in an instant..You also needs 'balls of steel' to make certain decks work properly - I would expect that it's actually better training for NL holdem than, say, Limit holdem is..
Old 12-30-2005, 05:41 PM

MTG is excellent training for poker and I think the big advantage a player has switching from MTG to poker is that MTG is much more complex. I know I'll get flamed for that but if you have played Pro Tour level MTG, you'll know it's correct.

Moving from MTG to poker is like moving from MLB to tee-ball.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:44 PM

I use to play magic. I think it helps with hand reading.

Krishan
Old 12-30-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MTG is excellent training for poker and I think the big advantage a player has switching from MTG to poker is that MTG is much more complex. I know I'll get flamed for that but if you have played Pro Tour level MTG, you'll know it's correct.

Moving from MTG to poker is like moving from MLB to tee-ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. Magic is more complex and ever changing with new sets. Poker onlyhas to be learned once. As for transferable skills:
1. Reading the board. 100x tougher in magic.
2. Figuring outs based on board. Again much harder in magic as in poker you only need to go as far as 2 cards, magic you will calculate up to 5 running outs sometimes, and play accordingly.
3. Dedication. Serious magic players will travel across the country for a weekend tournament and play for 48+ hours.
4. Playtesting. Magic players are used to getting to gether and practicing with their friends. This is huge for learning poker as nothing is as good as peer analysis while learning.
5. Money. Many magic players try to scrounge out a profit and are used to big money matches, at least big money to them. Poker is more money and easier.
6. Reads. In magic we constantly try to ascertain an opponents holding based upon their play.

Magic v. Chess. Magic is more similar to Poker as it has incomplete information.

I was on the protour, not a big name, when I quit the game in favor of more lucrative poker.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:28 PM

StacysMom,

I thought you quit to clone yourself?

Anyways, magic would be fun if there was more money in it, but every time I've thought of taking it up I realize that I'd rather spend the money on something else. I guess I won't be able to cross train [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], because I'll be busy spending my money from poker. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2005, 06:30 PM

Why do so many MTG players end up getting into poker??

collusive possibilities..

someone had to say it.

btw,

but since i did not post it, it will stay.

woo
Old 12-30-2005, 07:35 PM

I asked something similiar back in October