Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Help, I\'m getting raped online (long)

[ QUOTE ]
I really need to get the hang of this internet thing though.

I feel that I have a fairly good grasp of PF/postflop play, necessary for beating the 25NL at least. I think I've been getting hit by the deck lately, but its rough because my small roll can't take these hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

metoo ...

though I am not neccesarily a good player (yet) - I took a couple of days off and moved sites to pokerstars.

2k hands later I am down $150 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] tho I am being nailed by the cards and sucked out on lots - it feels as well like everytime I hit a good hand and come out betting everyone else folds...

am I *that* predictable ? - no
is there a neon sign over my head that flashes (fold now) when I hit a good hand? - no
is AA my #1 losing hand on pokerstars so far? - yes!

variance is a female canine - but if I just wait long enough it'll all work out beautifully in the end. at least thats what I tell myself.

Take a day off - rummage through your stats and look for leaks - read and apply little nuggets of info you mine from these fabulous forums - then get back to the tables and blow a few fish out of the water.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

good luck.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:45 AM

People with ADD actually do very well at things they enjoy like poker... most of the time they hyper focus and tend to not notice the time fly by.

Of course that takes them away from all the stuff they have to do to be a responsible person.

Guin
Old 12-12-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it might be harder for a live game player to jump into the internet game than just starting at the internet game.
I think the differences between the games are pretty big. On the internet at small stakes you can pass on small edges because you have 6 tables of instantly dealt cards and a larger edge is often right around the corner.

Live games people tend to push smaller edges. The game is not going to last forever, you have a limited time to make some cash, and you dont recive 6 tables of instantly dealt cards so that larger edge might never turn up. Also you get tons of reads and really get to know how the villians play, not to mention live games are notorious for donks.

I think it is possible to pick up lines that might work well in a home game and much less so on the internet. Just a thought, but you might be better leaving a lot of the things that have worked for you in home games behind, and kind of start fresh.

[/ QUOTE ]For someone just starting to play online, this is gold. I just started multi-tabling and it has really changed my poker life.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:14 AM

Sorry to hear...

I'm in the midst of PT problems on my computer (I've been without for 2+ weeks and am still talking to support), so I decided to start single tabling $25NL 6-max. It's actually been a good thing -- taking a lot of notes and concentrating on the tendencies of different players. These are things I always do in homegames, but are somewhat lax on when I can just read PT stats.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be back with PT as soon as I can get it working, but I think if you single table for a while, post hands and offer feedback to other 2+2's you will overcome the downswing.

On a side note, that was horrible advice from the poster who said to take out a cash advance on a credit card to pay for Party Poker. Talk about a high rake + the possibility of losing the money.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:19 AM

Heh, I drop 4 buyins on a semi-weekly basis. Don't worry about it.

Edit: are people really THAT dependent on PT?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:32 PM

Thanks for comments/advice/thoughts. I appreciate it. If my parents don't let me set up my own account, I'm going to [censored] spaz. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Once, again, thanks for replies.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the internet at small stakes you can pass on small edges because you have 6 tables of instantly dealt cards and a larger edge is often right around the corner.

Live games people tend to push smaller edges. The game is not going to last forever, you have a limited time to make some cash, and you dont recive 6 tables of instantly dealt cards so that larger edge might never turn up.

[/ QUOTE ]For someone just starting to play online, this is gold. I just started multi-tabling and it has really changed my poker life.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. The more small edges you push the greater EV you accumulate. Pushing smaller edges with more hands ensures that they would theoretically become winning plays more quickly according to the Law of Large Numbers.

Alternatively, if you can flip with a horrendous player in a live game that might get up and cash his winnings it would be a bad idea to give him the opportunity rather than wait for a 70/30 spot. Brunson says don't gamble with bad players, online I will because they are in abundance, when one leaves another can easily replace him.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On the internet at small stakes you can pass on small edges because you have 6 tables of instantly dealt cards and a larger edge is often right around the corner.

Live games people tend to push smaller edges. The game is not going to last forever, you have a limited time to make some cash, and you dont recive 6 tables of instantly dealt cards so that larger edge might never turn up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. The more small edges you push the greater EV you accumulate. Pushing smaller edges with more hands ensures that they would theoretically become winning plays more quickly according to the Law of Large Numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that people playing small stakes are often wrong about their edge. Yes experienced players can push any possible edge, but for someone who is not experienced or does not have the confidence to follow through then they can wait for the bigger edge to show up. When an inexperienced player starts pushing small edges it often costs them their stack when they are wrong, while an more veteran player will realize when to get away from a pot after they have started on it. I am not giving advice to a veteran internet player here (he been playing a bit less then 3 months on-line), but to someone that wants to build a roll and I think it is solid advice. I would not tell an experience winner with a good bankroll role not to push small edges.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ed Miller's short stack strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

forgive the noob question but where can I read this...search hates me google does too

Straight Flushes,

SAM
Old 12-12-2005, 03:17 PM

It is in one of his books,

However, I know about 4 people that tried it, all quit after a short while. I tried it for about 5k hands, lost $140 at 25NL.

I think that it may work live, but not on-line (the examples in his book are all of live play).

Margon