Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Is there value to being able to play multiple styles well?

HU, my style is to try to figure out what my opponent thinks I think about what he thinks I'm trying to do and then get confused and do something completely random because the damn computer is beeping at me (and by "completely random" I wish I meant "game-theoritically optimal" but I don't) .

I think straightforward ABC TAG play will make money up to 2/4 6-max on Party skins. It isn't optimal, but its breakeven at worst (I believe TWP has said this before as well).

The concept of changing styles doesn't really apply at the higher levels in my opinion as the game is constantly evolving. When everybody at the table already knows the "by the book" line, deviating from it is just a mind game of zigging when they think you're zagging. It isn't about saying "For the next half hour, I will be a LAG, then I will be a TAG for 20 minutes, then I will be a rock for 10, then a LAG for 15,......" as those labels don't apply as strictly as they do at low levels where most players always play the same way.

The bottom line is that you only need to change styles when other people start changing them, too. If everyone at the table always plays one way, you play a strategy that counters that one way. If they change, you change too.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're playing TAG and a maniac sits down, aren't you already playing well? And shouldn't you change be based directly on his play, not in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
at some point, your opposition will be good enough where if you don't change your style multiple times ingame, you will not do well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:22 PM

While moving up its vitally imporatant to know all styles. I was once a big time LAG and now play very taggish. The biggest factor in my decision is the table. A supper tight table i tend to play laggish a supper loose i play tighter....
Old 10-26-2005, 12:23 PM

Maybe this isn't directly relevant to this thread, but I would add that you absolutely MUST be able to switch between styles (and play each effectively) if you want to play well in tourneys.

More generally, I think Harrington nailed it when wrote: "you'll make the easiest money when you are playing the opposite of your normal style". IMO, that applies equally well to cash and tourney games.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Are there levels where a certain style works best or doesn't work at all? (Please don't link to Fimbulwinter's masterpiece or the FAQ, I am looking to generate some discussion here)

[/ QUOTE ]
At NL50 full-ring, I haven't really had to change my style (TAG) or switch gears much and my win rate is pretty good. However, this may be why I've been unsuccessful at NL100 (but that's another story). I try to find tables with players who don't know my style or don't care to notice. But there are times when I do end up sitting down with familiar players. They know my style. That's when I'm thinking meta-game, switching gears, etc.