Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 08:37 AM

Default The LAG vs. the WSOP Wannabe - You make the call

The pugilists:
WSOP Wannabee - Dressed in full donk regalia, plays any ace and likes to emphasize the word "RRRAISSSE"
Age 23, ht 5'7", weight 156 lbs

LAG - Regular player in the room. Likes to talk and has mad post-flop skills, plays a lot of hands and likes table chatter
Age 47 ht 6'0" weight 185 lbs

The Main Event
WSOP Wannabee raises to $20 under the gun. One caller. LAG announces (in a rather loud voice) "I raise". LAG then matches WSOP Wannabee's bet and returns to his chip stack and brings out $60 more in a single motion.

LAG goes ballistic screaming that it was a string raise and since LAG said raise only the chips he held in his hand (Wannabee's original bet) was the full raise. Floor is called and determines that LAG's action was fine. Wannabee gets three more floor people over and after much bitching and moaning (and 6 lost minutes of playing time) the original floor decision stood.

Anyone disagree?
Old 10-14-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: The LAG vs. the WSOP Wannabe - You make the call

WSOP wannabe needs to stick to watching tv poker and playing online. The LAG was right in every way, once he said raise, he can count out every chip in his raise if he wants!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:21 AM

As far as I know once you state a raise you can throw out the call, think about how much you want to raise, then go back and make your raise in one motion without ever stating the amount.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:15 AM

if you say "raise" you can make the call and then put out a raise.

they even do it on tv...
Old 10-14-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as I know once you state a raise you can throw out the call, think about how much you want to raise, then go back and make your raise in one motion without ever stating the amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the rule in many houses, but I understand that some houses use a continuous motion rule for an announced rule.

In any event i think you are missing the olayers objection here, its not that the raiser put out a call and went back to his stack. His objection is that the raiser announced a raise and brought out a stack of chips (not necessarily a stack) then dropped out a call and brought the rest of his chips back to get more chips -- as opposed to announcing raise coming out with the $20 call only and then coming back.

I don't really agree with the player objecting here, but I think its important to acknowledge his objection is not just that the player put out the call first and then went back.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:39 AM

once he announces raise he can do what he wants...the other guy is a tool, which I think we all already knew.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In any event i think you are missing the olayers objection here, its not that the raiser put out a call and went back to his stack. His objection is that the raiser announced a raise and brought out a stack of chips (not necessarily a stack) then dropped out a call and brought the rest of his chips back to get more chips

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see this in the OP's post. He said:

[ QUOTE ]

LAG then matches WSOP Wannabee's bet and returns to his chip stack and brings out $60 more in a single motion.

[/ QUOTE ]

No mention of what you interpreted. But then he says this:

[ QUOTE ]

LAG goes ballistic screaming that it was a string raise and since LAG said raise only the chips he held in his hand (Wannabee's original bet) was the full raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which actually makes no sense and probably introduced the confusion.

Regards,

T
Old 10-14-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His objection is that the raiser announced a raise and brought out a stack of chips (not necessarily a stack) then dropped out a call and brought the rest of his chips back to get more chips -- as opposed to announcing raise coming out with the $20 call only and then coming back.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right, but I don't think the OP says that. There's no mention of coming out with a stack of, say, $50, dropping $20 and then going back with $30 to get another $50.

In any case, LAG seems to be perfectly acceptable here. Let me guess...after all that, wannabe folded?

Could/should the (second) floor have quietly taken wannabe aside and said "Look, the (first) floor has ruled, that's final, no amount of bitching and moaning is going to change that"? We seem to get lots of these stories about guys who are convinced they're right and that if they just get to explain to the right manager they'll be able to prove it, not understanding that even if they *are* actually right, the first manager on the scene is the one who counts.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:12 AM

To clarify. LAG and Wannabee were sitting at opposite ends of the table. I was sitting next to LAG. I don't believe LAG brought out more than the original 20. He asked the dealer how much was the (Wannabee's) bet obviously indicating his intent to get the bet called before contemplating his raise.

Question, what if (not the case here) LAG had say $40 in his hand when he matched the $20 original bet? Assume only that $20 hit the felt before LAG went back.

FYI -- Wannabe and one other called the raise. For closure the 'other' guy actually went all-in after the flop and took down the pot. Wannabee proceeded to tilt away $400 and complain every chance he got about that play.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LAG goes ballistic screaming that it was a string raise and since LAG said raise only the chips he held in his hand

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the language that leads me to believe that that raiser came out with more chips in his hand than the call required. Otherwise there can be no controversy unless player didn't hear the Raiser announce his raise.