Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 02:35 PM

Default 2-5 live game in the ATL

This is a hand I used to raise routinely from the blinds when I just started playing NL. Now I base my actions on how many have come in and what type of players they are. I'm learning, little at a time.

My stack: $450
Villain: $300

A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
5 limpers to me, I complete, BB checks. 7 to the flop.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (pot is 32)
Great flop, but I’m out of position. I check to see what develops. Checked to a player two to my right who bets 15. The player between us folds. Awesome, I raise 30 on top. Folded around to the initial bettor, he calls. 2 to the turn.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot is 120)
I check, he checks.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, he pushes, I fold.

Thoughts?

- Jim
Old 06-13-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: 2-5 live game in the ATL

I think by checking the turn your pretty much giving up on the pot. Once you checkraise, you need to follow through with a bet between 60-120. If he raises that, your probably beat. If he calls, then check fold the river. But i think a bet around 75$ will win the pot enough to make it worth it.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:48 PM

What is your plan if:

(a) he bets the turn?
(b) river blanks, he bets?

If you check/raise flop you have to lead the turn. If he plays with you again you're probably done with the hand, unless you can try to pick up a read on him.

How you play this otherwise is pretty read dependent. I like a stop and go if you think he's bad. If he's good I'd just flat-call the flop and check to him on the turn and try to gauge his response.

Preflop complete is fine, btw, maybe even preferable, depending on the table.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:55 PM

I agree with you.

- Jim
Old 06-13-2005, 02:58 PM

I think it's very rarely correct to check raise the flop and then check the turn with the intention of calling.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:58 PM

If he bets the turn, I mix it up between calling and CRing again. Mostly calling.

I only call the river.

I disagree with a call on the flop, it's a clear raise imo.

- Jim
Old 06-13-2005, 03:01 PM

Why is it a clear raise? Was the turn a clear check? First you want to build a pot out of position and then you don't.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:15 PM

Woah, easy there.

I think it's a clear raise on the flop because I have 4 more players behind the action.

I agree the turn check does not look like I had just CRed the flop and is a misplaced action.

- Jim
Old 06-13-2005, 04:54 PM

There are so many hands he could have that you've allowed to catch up to you. AJ(or any Jx), JJ, flush draw, KQ, actually... i don't feel like listing them all. Basically if you play AQ, you're playing for a flop like this. You want to bet aggressively on the turn, I definately pot this after checkraising flop. If he calls, that river card may be the worst card in the deck, check and muck to anything bigger than a 1BB bet.

Like everyone else said, I can't see the point of checkraising your TPTK only to check/check the turn and river. Open up and take advantage of what was probably a mistake for him to call the flop raise. Several players at these limits refuse to fold to checkraised flops but have no trouble laying their hands down at the turn.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:51 PM

Hi,
Preflop I like it. I would only raise this up (big) if several limpers were very short-stacked. Or if I was sure (given table texture) that I would get 1 caller only.

On the flop I think your line is pretty good, though I would pot it some percentage of the time to see who wants to play this pot on what seems like a passive table. I would also be potting it with flsh draw (occasionally), open-ended (occasionally) and 2 pair or better hands (almost always, unless certain of being able to check-raise aggressive LP player), obviously. Once it's checked all the way around to villain, the checkraise is right, IMO.

Turn: Like everybody else said, after C/Ring the flop, I bet $90 every time on the turn. If I'm raised I probably dump it.

River: Given the action you obviously have to fold here. The turn is where to decide how far to take this hand.