Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 04:36 PM

Default micro SNG hand : very wierd, was I correct or insane?

Sorry but I can't find a converter that works on the hand histories you get from Prima skins so this is as good as it gets:

[Hold 'em] (No Limit - STT) $2.00 + $0.50 entry fee

- DrMarc sitting in seat 1 with $650.00
- GR0WLER sitting in seat 2 with $950.00 [Dealer]
- Nekro_Judas sitting in seat 3 with $1240.00
- irontoof sitting in seat 4 with $1170.00
- JorgenT sitting in seat 5 with $1500.00
- leijonamieli sitting in seat 6 with $950.00
- Dilloni sitting in seat 7 with $710.00
- fabrirai sitting in seat 8 with $1550.00
- broten sitting in seat 9 with $1220.00

Nekro_Judas posted the small blind - $20.00
irontoof posted the big blind - $40.00

** Dealing card to irontoof: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

JorgenT folded
leijonamieli folded
Dilloni called - $40.00
fabrirai folded
broten called - $40.00
DrMarc called - $40.00
GR0WLER folded
Nekro_Judas folded
irontoof bet - $280.00
<font color="blue">
OK so a nice big bet here takes it down or at least reduces the field right?
</font>
Dilloni called - $280.00
broten went all-in - $1180.00
DrMarc went all-in - $610.00
<font color="blue">
What! oh, this many people then AA is out there somewhere, I gotta fold, except I can't fold KK. Oh well...
</font>
irontoof went all-in - $930.00
Dilloni went all-in - $430.00

DrMarc shows: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Dilloni shows: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
broten shows: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

** Dealing the flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
** Dealing the turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
** Dealing the river: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

irontoof wins $1000.00 from side pot 2
Dilloni wins $2620.00 from the main pot
Dilloni wins $2800.00 from side pot 1

I'm starting to think it was a mad call on my part but what do you guys think?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: micro SNG hand : very wierd, was I correct or insane?

You played it fine. In a 2 dollar tournament it's just as likely your up against A,Q A,K and a guy with pocket 7's. If you never folded KK ever pre-flop in a low buy-in tournament you wouldn't be giving much away.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You played it fine. In a 2 dollar tournament it's just as likely your up against A,Q A,K and a guy with pocket 7's. If you never folded KK ever pre-flop in a low buy-in tournament you wouldn't be giving much away.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you never fold KK before the flop you'll be doing just fine...anywhere.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:41 AM

You played it fine. Under normal circumstances - say a larger tournament - I'd expect a single caller to that raise, maybe two. Then, if no ace came on the flop, I'd expect to take the pot with a continuation bet.

You just got a little unlucky, but you got your money in with the best of it. C'est la vie. Here's what Poker Stove says:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 64.9768 % [ 00.65 00.00 ] { KhKd }
Hand 2: 16.0495 % [ 00.15 00.01 ] { AcQd }
Hand 3: 11.3728 % [ 00.11 00.01 ] { Ah9h }
Hand 4: 07.6010 % [ 00.07 00.01 ] { Qh7h }

</pre><hr />

Your equity was huge.

The play of DrMarc and Dilloni I understand. They are very short tacked for 20/40 blinds, so they want their money in. What broten is up to is a mystery.

Regards,

T
Old 09-23-2005, 10:56 AM

Thanks for your comments. I need to ask you about one thing you said though.

In your opinion were Dilloni and DrMarc really short stacked? They had 710 and 650 stacks at only level 2 (20/40) in a tournament where you only start with 1000 chips. That puts them at the bottom of Harrington's Yellow zone with an M of around 12.

Thing is in these SNG's you play 90% of the time in that position or worse.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In your opinion were Dilloni and DrMarc really short stacked? They had 710 and 650 stacks at only level 2 (20/40) in a tournament where you only start with 1000 chips. That puts them at the bottom of Harrington's Yellow zone with an M of around 12.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, in a SNG like this, almost everyone is short stacked early. I know that when I get to about an M of 10, I start looking for hands to get my money in with. Yeah, they aren't quite there, but they're very close and will be there in a couple hands. Even in a SNG when you're M is 10, you have to find a hand. If you don't take some chances you might limp into the money but you can just as easily bubble out.

I guess I was just trying to give your opponents some credit since the hands they showed were above average. It's entirely possible they were just terrible players. But when I find myself with an M of 10, I don't mind getting my money in with that type of hand. Of course, I wouldn't want to be the guy who got all-in last since I'm assuming my Ace has fewer outs.

I'd definitely say the player with Q7s was just bored and wanted to be done. Or was a terrible player. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Thing is in these SNG's you play 90% of the time in that position or worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, which makes them such a crap shoot sometimes.

I understand your point, and I can't really defend the other players. Let's just say that if you were up against me, you might see me come at you with AQ or A9s if my stack is that short.

Regards,

T
Old 09-23-2005, 03:02 PM

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to have a pop at the other players, I was just worried that I don't shift up gears fast enough and that might be a leak. I tend to start moving around an M of 7 which is a bit lower than you were suggesting.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to have a pop at the other players, I was just worried that I don't shift up gears fast enough and that might be a leak. I tend to start moving around an M of 7 which is a bit lower than you were suggesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose at an SNG, 10 is plenty. I just start to feel cramped at 10. At MTTs, I start making moves at 10 for sure.

Regards,

T
Old 09-23-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The play of DrMarc and Dilloni I understand. They are very short tacked for 20/40 blinds, so they want their money in. What broten is up to is a mystery.

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked at your hand and I think your play was probably the only reasonable one out of the 4 of you. All I can think is that everyone limped in to you on the first round of bets and took your raise as an attempt to steal the pot with a decent hand. Even after your raise, the next player just called to Broten. Broten may have figured you were trying to steal the pot with nothing, the caller thought his hand was okay but not great, Broten had the big stack and could bully everyone out of the pot with an all-in bet that surely wouldn't be called by a bunch of players showing weakness and probably wouldn't be called by someone trying to steal the pot. It stills baffles me that he did it but this is the only reason I can see him doing it (other than being clueless which is probably more likely).

In this situation next time I'd just go all in on my first bet especially early in a low buyin SNG. My experience is that often you won't get any play but often you'll get callers with complete junk that just want to let it ride on a hope and prayer. Don't second guess this decision just look for tables where broten is playing from now on.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you never fold KK before the flop you'll be doing just fine...anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's simply not true. There have been numerous threads about this in the NL forums.

When the stacks are deep, there is enough time to discover that you are probably up against AA, and it becomes very costly to be unable to fold KK. Many people say you have to be 90% sure you are up against AA to fold, but that's not what the math says.

In a tournament, the stacks are usually short enough that you can't be confident enough that you are up against AA.