Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 12:39 AM

Default Did I just discover a leak?

When I raise preflop, it seems like I nearly always bet out (or raise) on the flop.

I was worrying about this today while I was browsing through my Pokertracker stats and I found a section I hadn't seen before: in the 'more detail/general info' tab there's a stat called "First Action on Flop After A Pre-flop Raise". For my last 20K Party 1/2 hands (VPIP 18.36%, PFR% 7.5)....

First Action on Flop After A Pre-flop Raise:

Bet 67.15%
Raise 18.09
Call 5.22
Check 3.40
Checkraise 0.85
Fold 1.46
No flop/No action 3.83

That means I'm betting/raising 85 % of the time, and rarely folding. Anyone have any stats to compare this to? Should I be looking for more situations to check/fold?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Did I just discover a leak?

Don't stress about values of stats yet... 20k hands is not nearly enough.

Betting on the flop can be good/bad, depending on the number of players to the flop and your position there are many times where a check or fold may be better than betting all the time.

Have a look at a few hands that you've bet out where a check raise would have been better. And check if you're betting out mega dangerous flops with weak overcards from early positions...
Old 10-13-2004, 01:28 AM

That is something that I believe I have a problem wih as well. It just seems I am required to bet after a PF raise. And I think it gets me into trouble sometimes. Thanks for pointing that out, because we're probably not the only ones with that problem.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:22 AM

I figured I'd get a visit from Sample Size Man. You're probably right though. But, similar to how ranges of VPIP and PFR can be narrowed down relatively fast (say 10K hands), I figured any deformed numbers in the 'First Action on Flop' would start to become apparent around that point as well.

Anyone have a completely different range of numbers?
Old 10-13-2004, 05:57 AM

I'd suggest not betting the flop in largish multiway pots when you miss. I usually hope for a late position bet and checkraise to knock nearly everyone out or fold if this isnt going to work.

Against few players you have to bet, but when everyone is in you gotta be prepared to throw it away.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:00 AM

After 27K hands of 1/2 my Raise % is 12.6% and Bet % is 56.95%. I have no idea is that's good or bad.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:51 AM

Well, FWIW, here are my last 10K 1/2 hand stats with 18.29% VP$IP and 7.5% PFR:

First Action on Flop After A Pre-flop Raise:

Bet 62.24%
Raise 15.99
Call 5.54
Check 6.15
Checkraise 0.74
Fold 1.72
No flop/No action 7.63

So, pretty much the same except that my raises seem to be getting a smidge more respect [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (actually, I suspect I'm playing in tighter games because these stats include a bunch of hands from midafternoon sessions).
Old 10-13-2004, 04:19 PM

Good to see some other numbers.

I went through some of my hands today and found a few situations where I'm in EP with overcards that completely missed the flop and I'm betting into a multiway pot with a nasty coordinated board....that probably needs to stop [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I started by looking at my KQo hands, but I'll probably find a few more lost bets with AKo, AQo and maybe even JJ, TT.

Thanks for all the replies.