Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: A Fine Use Of A Firearm

It is hard to know if he should have returned with the gun, or done as you suggest; but if he does as you suggest how is he to know that the burglar would not force his way into the house and attack him? Interior garage doors often have only the flimsiest of locks on them. Maybe the burglar is on meth or crack or something? Maybe he will come through a window? Maybe he will decide he must silence the homeowner before he calls the police? Maytbe he will barge through and attack the homeowner as he is distracted making the 911 call? Who knows?

Danny Dunn does "sound" a bit "dumb" as you put it, but if he actually is, then more power to him, I say, for even so overcoming this vicious attacker with just the right amount of force.

You do have a point about Texas laws, and the legalities of the whole thing. My poersonal opinion though is that even Texas laws--not to mention laws everywhere--should grant the homeowner or innocent victim even more latitude in the use of force as a response.

For instance, take an intruder who uses a knife attack. The attacker then turns away briefly. You have no way of knowing if he will actually leave, or if he will attack again momentarily or in a few minutes. Hence I think you should have the right to pursue a short distance especially while still on your property, and to shoot him. Prefrably you will aim to incapacitate rather than to kill, if the bullet hits him in a vital spot by accident well then it is HIS fault not yours. HE commenced the vicious knife attack and I think that should be sufficient cause to considered that he thus voluntarily surrendered his right to personal protection for a short time thereafter.

So, I'm saying the laws should be changed a bit. Do you remember the case of Bernard Goetz? In my opinion the laws should be changed so he could not be convicted of a crime for what he did. The muggers endangered his personal safety. I think even overwhelming force should be permitted under such circumstances. If some gang members threaten you with sharpened screwdrivers on the street or in a streetcar, I think you should have the right to maim or kill them right then and there. Why? Because you have know way of knowing whether or not their threat might end up maiming or killing you--and because they are the initiators and transgressors.