Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2003, 09:19 AM

Default Importance of chip tricks

I've recently watched a WPT show where Dutch Boyd was talking about the importance of chip tricks in a poker players arsenal as a means of intimidating other players. When I think about this, it makes sense to me that players may be less inclined to bluff or go into a pot against someone who looks like they've been around a poker table before and can handle themselves, but I've never had any experience with it. What does everyone think?
Krserre
Old 09-23-2003, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Importance of chip tricks

The last I checked, manual dexterity had precisely zero to do with the ability to play poker.

Oh, yeah, and by all accounts, Dutch Boyd is a thief and an idiot.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:59 AM

Default nonsense

I can shuffle chips, roll them, etc, and i suck and should be bluffed.

I do want to learn to take 4 or 5 and let them roll out of my hand and catch them under my arm like Johnny Chan was doing on the ESPN special also.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:03 AM

They initially attract my curiosity. But after a couple of rounds or so, I can fairly gauge their poker abilities. They are no different from those who sit down with expensive or faux Oakleys who try to project the image of a real poker players only to eventually expose the holes on their underoos.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:13 AM

Doing chip tricks is easier than playing good poker. I've been playing for 5 years and I can hardly even shuffle a small stack of chips. When I first started out I was somewhat intimidated by people who shuffled chips at the table, but I soon realized that most of them couldn't play.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:17 AM

Default snatching

I do want to learn to take 4 or 5 and let them roll out of my hand and catch them under my arm like Johnny Chan was doing on the ESPN special also.

Is that like putting them on your elbow and snatching them? I can do that with stacks of pennies. Pull your arm out from under them quickly and cleanly so they stay together, but then pause at the top for an instant while they are in the air you can see them. I don't try to look at them to catch them. Once I see they are off my elbow, I actually defocus my eyes and move my arm with the same timing every time, and they all end up in my hand. Practice with 1, and the timing will be the same even when you have a large stack or several stacks.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The last I checked, manual dexterity had precisely zero to do with the ability to play poker.

Oh, yeah, and by all accounts, Dutch Boyd is a thief and an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't heard much about this kid besides what I seen on WPT. I heard that he claims to be part of some "crew" that's going to take the poker wolrd by storm (lmao) but why is he a cheat?

and with regards to the chip trick question, I'm referring to its effects on fairly inexperienced players, I know better players will see through this in a second.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:17 PM

I was the only one at the game last night doing chip tricks since you skipped out. Shorthanded fun, can't go wrong. 5 handed until 8:30, then gil showed up and Joe walked in at 9:00. Jerry busted out around 11:30 but Mike walked in right after him. Good times.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Importance of chip tricks - They can bite you in the A**

Was playing in the WPT Borgatta open this weekend. A name player (whom I will not name here) has a chip trick tell. When raised he will shuffle the call amount with his right hand. If he shuffles three times, raised or calls - HE'S BLUFFING. If he shuffles 4 times then cuts the stack once and raises or calls - he's got the goods.

I'm not joking - I watched this for about an hour, then moved in and destroyed him over the next hour and a half. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2003, 03:33 PM

I went on Friday night and they drove me nuts, so I needed to take Monday off. Next Monday, I am bringing ear plugs [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]