Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Anyone See Chapelle\'s New Act?

He is going to perform in San Antonio and Austin in November. I have purchased my tix and eagerly awaiting for the show. How were the opening actS?
Old 09-18-2005, 03:41 AM

Anyone know why he is playing such an odd schedule of cities? Doesn't look like he's coming anywhere near Chicago. . . [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
His latest tour has been on the hush but he's in Pittsburgh next week. The Improv isn't even advertising it, they just told people who came this past weekend that he'd be here next weekend.

Tickets just went onsale online. They weren't supposed to go onsale until tomorrow morning but they are now so my roomie and I copped 2 tickets for Saturday night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would REALLY like to go see this, but, would I be out of place? I'm very white, i'm 100% pure honk. Perhaps that would make it more fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you should stay away, black people laugh very differently and don't like laughing with white people.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, you're the one that turns every comment that brings up an ehtical difference into a prejudice remark, aren't you?

If you can't see that me asking if a cracker such as myself will fit in at a certain event isn't prejudice, then you have problems.

It's not like me askign if I should feel uncomfortable at a harlem globetrotters show or something. WIthout fail, Chappelle uses racial commentary that I would not be comfortable using, and I don't know if it would be approriate for me to find this stuff funny, or if ti would be assumed that I cannot relate to such humor.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're an idiot. I don't think you should go to the show because you have no sense of humor.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is going to perform in San Antonio and Austin in November. I have purchased my tix and eagerly awaiting for the show. How were the opening actS?

[/ QUOTE ]

There was 2 guys :

The first guy was great, although from the way he talked he didn't sound like he was Chapelle's opening act all the time. He had great material that pertained to Pittsburgh locally but he was from New York.

The second guy was a local kid who was trying to start out who Chapelle met on Thursday and was allowing him a little set to get some experience.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know why he is playing such an odd schedule of cities? Doesn't look like he's coming anywhere near Chicago. . . [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He said at the show that he was ready to get back into things since it didn't seem natural to just sit on his butt after working for 18 years. He said he prefers the smaller clubs because it's a more intimate setting.

You really get the feeling that he loves what he does and it's not about the money at all. He could easily sellout big venues like Chris Rock did like 2 years ago (and who had a bad act I might add) but he's just doing what he loves best.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He said at the show that he was ready to get back into things since it didn't seem natural to just sit on his butt after working for 18 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

so does that mean the TV show is officially dead? i mean, if he really wanted something to do, he could have finished the 3rd season.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He said at the show that he was ready to get back into things since it didn't seem natural to just sit on his butt after working for 18 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

so does that mean the TV show is officially dead? i mean, if he really wanted something to do, he could have finished the 3rd season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he said last night it's officially dead. Said he doesn't like Hollywood and the way things are ran and he seemed truly hurt about the stories that were told about him when he left and went to Africa. He said he didn't want to be part of that world anymore and just wanted to do standup.

Some guy in the audience kept yelling "Season 3" and Chapelle said to him "You're watching it right now".
Old 09-18-2005, 05:45 PM

wow - hard to imagine that he was so turned off by "Hollywood" to turn his back on the tens of millions of dollars in his Comedy Central contract.

nice to see someone following their heart, though.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:04 AM

Yeah, and incredibly rare.

Usually I'd be all over approving that, but still, it seems like he ran away, not stepped away. Guess that just takes his retreat into doing things his own way down a few notches, to me. Kinda Martin Lawrence like in its "my craziness was actually really okay,", except Chapelle is actually funny and he's a real loss.

Well, hopefully he at least does plenty of specials or DVD's of some type, at least. He's rich enough that he could just fade away, though, which would be a shame. Unless it makes him happier, I guess. Oh well.