Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 01:04 PM

Default NL$600-hand from last night

This may be real obvious, and if it is, feel free to move it to small stakes AZK. That's where I stay anyway.

Villain is tight, but all I know about him is from datamining about 200 hands. 18/4/3.

My table image is really tight, I've gotten some bad cards and vpip is roundabout 12%. I haven't raised preflop yet. Suppose I might be playing a bit scared of the stakes, but I'm being aggressive postflop. Played about 50 hands, not seen a showdown. I have $630 and villain covers.

Party Poker (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Folds to villain in MP2 who makes it $25, MP3 folds, I call (I figure now is not a good time to start raising preflop, since I expect villain to have noticed that I'm tight. And since villain is only a 4%pfr. This means I'm ready to get away from the hand if I get a scary amount action on any flop containing an ace, a queen or a jack.), button and blinds fold.

Flop: ($59) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain bets $30, I raise to $80, villain insta-pushes, I..?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: NL$600-hand from last night

It does sound like you are playing too high. I call this every time especially since you just flat called pre-flop.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:12 PM

The scenario you have descibed makes it a very easy call, but i would def raise it pf, i dont mind losing 100 bbs here.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:14 PM

seems like a call to me...

villain bets half pot and you put in a faily small raise; villain probably puts you on something like a bluff (trying to move him off overcards), a club draw (trying to get to the river cheaply), or possibly a monster

there are very few monsters here, so I think this all-in is basically trying to protect his hand against a draw... AA seems unlikely because he'd raise smaller to milk you; my best guess for villian is a smaller overpair or maybe something like AcQc (too bad you have the Kc)

you haven't shown any real strength so it's hard to get a read on villain here (smooth-calling pre-flop is okay, but you need to raise bigger on the flop usually), but I think you're winning often enough to justify a call
Old 07-18-2005, 01:19 PM

Yeah, the flop raise is too small, I know. I contemplated saying I made it $100 (still on the small side) in order to not look stupid, but I went with being honest. Haha, well [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 02:40 PM

Given his insta push, he obviously isn't concerned that you have a set. Given this, I'm thinking he's about as likely to have QQ as AA, so call. He could also have KK and you have a slight edge (back door flush draw).
Old 07-18-2005, 02:45 PM

I think it was a good sized raise and you got what you wanted, given your preflop line.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Results

I call, figure I'll pay him off if he's got AA. QQ, or even JJ, and flush draws should all be possible. (the insta-push makes me think flush-draw, but as I'm blocking AK with my king, it's not that likely.) Turn is an ace and river is another five. No flush.

Villain flips over 88 for a full house, and I just feel so much like an outplayed donkey it's crazy.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear people think it's an easy call. I'll keep making them. (But I agree I should've reraised preflop. Had he been UTG+1 or something, the smooth calli would be better.)