Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Late stage strategy--11s and 22s

After doing a lot of reading of the posts, I find I play a very different game from many of you. It seems many players push every chance they get. I do not.

In the later stages of the tourney, say the blinds are up around 100/200 with say 5 players left, I'm aggressively playing many more hands than I did earlier, and trying to steal as often as I can, not because I'm trying to build a large stack, but to keep chips out of the hands of my opponents, esp the shorter stacks. I want the blinds to put pressure on them.

But, when it comes bubble time or 3 handed, I change gears again. I'm looking to trap. In another thread, 4 left, the hand was AK in the SB and two people in for a limp and reraise. The general consensus was push the AK. I call. I'm looking to trap one or both for their whole stack and get ITM. If the flop comes A or K, that's exactly what I'll probably do.

If my opponents think I'm getting tight because on the bubble, good. If they think I'm weak/tight, all the better. If they think they can push me off a good hand, I'm delighted. I'm looking to win, not just accumulate chips. All I need is one or two opportunities to bust them, and that's what I'm looking for. Controlled aggression. Smart poker.

Am I wrong with this strategy?

CJ