Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 02:30 AM

Default my take on the new Harry Potter movie

First of all, not for the kiddies. There was so much violent and disturbing imagery (eg. arm chopping and death spells) that I can't imagine taking any child under 9 to see it. Hell, my girlfriend grabbed my arm a few times at the more scary parts.
Overall, really good adaptation. Obviously much had to be cut out for the sake of running time, but almost all the important parts were left intact...and some were beefed up (like the dragon).
However......
They made a huuuuuge omission; namely the scene towards the end of the book when the dementors kill Barty Crouch. The fact that he was killed before the ministry could hear his confession is one of the main reasons for the parting of the ways between Dumbledore and the Ministry. Maybe this is one of the scenes that they cut out for its theater run that wil be included in the DVD.
And that was my initial impression of the film.

Oh, and Hermione is getting to be really hot. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: my take on the new Harry Potter movie

[ QUOTE ]
Hermione is getting to be really hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that after the second one.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:29 AM

i liked the new one alot...although it did make me sad at one point...something the others have failed to do....
Old 11-20-2005, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, not for the kiddies. There was so much violent and disturbing imagery (eg. arm chopping and death spells) that I can't imagine taking any child under 9 to see it. Hell, my girlfriend grabbed my arm a few times at the more scary parts.
Overall, really good adaptation. Obviously much had to be cut out for the sake of running time, but almost all the important parts were left intact...and some were beefed up (like the dragon).
However......
They made a huuuuuge omission; namely the scene towards the end of the book when the dementors kill Barty Crouch. The fact that he was killed before the ministry could hear his confession is one of the main reasons for the parting of the ways between Dumbledore and the Ministry. Maybe this is one of the scenes that they cut out for its theater run that wil be included in the DVD.
And that was my initial impression of the film.

Oh, and Hermione is getting to be really hot. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

whos barty crouch?? i havent read the books!! what am i missing!?!?!?!
Old 11-20-2005, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hermione is getting to be really hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that after the second one.

[/ QUOTE ]

there were a bunch of threads re: this recently. yes, she is. in her dress. wow.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:05 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i haven't read the book, but as a 'movie watcher' i thought it was way too jumpy. they apparently didn't have the time to stop and smell the roses on any of the would-be cooler elements, it was just like introduction-use-exit over and over. i think the third movie would stand up if it had nothing to do with the potter franchise. this one would crash and burn if it was called "child wizards deluxe part 4"
Old 11-21-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i haven't read the book, but as a 'movie watcher' i thought it was way too jumpy. they apparently didn't have the time to stop and smell the roses on any of the would-be cooler elements, it was just like introduction-use-exit over and over. i think the third movie would stand up if it had nothing to do with the potter franchise. this one would crash and burn if it was called "child wizards deluxe part 4"

[/ QUOTE ]

the better books are way too long and detailed to make into conventional-length movies. this effect was there in 3, but much more pronounced in 4.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:55 AM

I thought 3 was much better than this one too.

The 3rd one actually had some people I know who have no interest in Harry Potter saying it was a good movie (after I dragged them to see it).

This one just didn't do it for me.

Emma Watson is totally hot in that dress. Give her another 3 years.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:02 AM

Start the countdown. They should have a calendar for it in Times Square or something.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought 3 was much better than this one too.

The 3rd one actually had some people I know who have no interest in Harry Potter saying it was a good movie (after I dragged them to see it).

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched all 3 for the first time recently (taking my son to see the 4th for part of his B'Day party, so I thought I might as well get the idea), and 3 was good.

Thewlis really brought his good stuff to it. He's a great actor. It's a real shame they don't make good use of Alan Rickman though.