Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Is Tiffany Williamson qualified to write a poker column

Tiffany Has Already Wrote an Article
Old 10-17-2005, 03:39 PM

Indeed I did, and it did not take me that long to write it! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Although, to be fair, a solitary article does not a regular column make, so I doubt it would prove satisfactory evidence to betgo.

I'm not sure why betgo uses my name to try to make his point. And I'm not sure why it is of concern to anyone whether I'm "qualified" to write a column. I can and have writen about my own experience at the WSOP, as noted by daveymck. If someone is interested enough to ask me to write about my experience at the WSOP (which was extraordinary), I'm happy to oblige.

As for Mr. McManus, I don't follow his column but I certainly enjoyed his book.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:04 PM

Odd thread.

1. Yes, Jim McManus is qualified to write a poker column. He is an oustanding journalist and a more than competent poker player. Is the NYT boxing columnist a former world champ?

2. Yes, McManus' early columns have been extremely disappointing. I expected great stuff and got drivel. I'm hoping he turns it around, but see no evidence of that happening.

3. Yes, Robert Varkoni is qualified to write a poker column. He's bright, has a heck of story to tell, and has played in many high-limit events. Unfortunately, his columns to date completely suck.

4. I have no idea if T. Williamson would do any better, though I thought the...it...will...take...a...long...time joke was extremely funny.

It's a huge error to assume that poker column quality is directly correlated to poker playing ability. Look at Danny Negraneu's CP columns vs. Dan Abrams'. Abrams' are far better, though I think few would disagree that Negraneu is the better player.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:06 PM

This is going to be the one time I am glad ESPN edits the hands, cause otherwise it would be torture to watch Tiffany take 5 minutes for every street decision. I heard she drove the tables nuts with her slow playing.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:21 PM

What a stupid comparison. McManus is an author by trade, which is what qualified him to write an article. Placing in a tournament has nothing to do with it.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:29 PM

I enjoyed Tiffany's article.

McManus is not one of my favorite writers.

Varkoni may not be a great writer, but he had a great line in his: But who has the time to be lucky and good?

Who has time, indeed?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is going to be the one time I am glad ESPN edits the hands, cause otherwise it would be torture to watch Tiffany take 5 minutes for every street decision. I heard she drove the tables nuts with her slow playing.

[/ QUOTE ]
They won't show the it in real time, but I am sure they will show some of it, complete with the expressions of the other players.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Yes, Jim McManus is qualified to write a poker column. He is an oustanding journalist and a more than competent poker player. Is the NYT boxing columnist a former world champ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The backgammon, bridge, and chess columns are ostensibly written by strong players. I assume the boxing columnists are very knowledgable on teh technical aspects of boxing. From McManus' columns, he evidently does not have that kind of knowledge of poker.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:37 PM

McManus just came in 4th at a Bellagio $2,500 buy in for $40,975. 298 players. He also placed in the money in a tourney last week.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They won't show the it in real time, but I am sure they will show some of it, complete with the expressions of the other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I had a great interaction with nearly all of the players with whom I sat during the WSOP. Although I did take some time on certain of the key hands in which I was involved, the majority of my hands (countless hands over the course of 7 very very long days of playing poker, including satellite day) were played in fairly quick fashion. In any case, as I've not participated on this forum up until now (and I know that there has been some discussion of my play on twoplustwo since the WSOP), please let me say that on nearly all of the decisions where I did take what some may view as too much time, I was making critical decisions for my tournament life. I can't say for sure whether I offended any of my table mates, because none of them approached me about it. The clock was indeed called on me several times; but the clock was called on other players at my tables as well (some only once or twice and others more than that). I myself had occasion to call the clock on players during some hands. I think the key issue that has been raised with respect to my play was whether or not I was angle shooting (which prior to reading the threads here, was a new term to me). Some have speculated that I was; but anyone who knows me, or knows how inexperienced I am to big tournament play, would know that I could not have dreamed up such a scheme. As I said before, I was faced with critical decisions during those moments, and it honestly did take me as long as I took to make those decisions. In fact, on one occasion I simply couldn’t decide, the clock was called on me and my hand was declared dead. Obviously, players with more experience than me (such as those who frequent the twoplustwo boards) would have been able to make those decisions much quicker than I did. I appreciate that and you can be sure that one of the aspects of my game that I have been working on is my ability to make decisions in an almost second nature fashion. But this only comes with experience. In any case, I can take a joke just as well as the next gal, so…

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if Tiffany is qualified to write a poker column. However, I do know that if she wrote one, it would take her a really, really, really, really, really . . . long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH

[/ QUOTE ]

nh [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]