Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 11:58 PM

Default I play bad vol.1

I had an annoying session tonight so I am going to post a couple hands I thought I played bad.

Seat 5 has a huge stack and seemed solid. I almost timed out before I decided what to do when raised on 7th

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___raises
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls

4th Street - (7.60 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (4.80 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (6.80 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

River - (6.80 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___raises
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___???

Total pot: (10.80 BB)
Old 09-22-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: I play bad vol.1

You need to bet sixth yourself. If hes lucky enough to be rolled or have the case two aces in the hole, that sucks, but so be it. You cant give a free card here to what I'm guessing is pocket kings. On seventh it should be clear you have queens up to most soild players. If this truly is a thinking opponent I see no real value in betting since its unlikely he pays you off unless he can beat it, in which case hes raising. So your opponent made kings up and they were good?

Mike Emery
Old 09-22-2005, 12:06 AM

You pay him off like an ATM, of course, and maybe check the river next time.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:58 AM

I second
Old 09-22-2005, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If hes lucky enough to have the case two aces in the hole, that sucks,

[/ QUOTE ]

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7:spade xx___raises

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
If hes lucky enough to have the case two aces in the hole, that sucks,

[/ QUOTE ]

woops, responded while playing. Since trip aces isnt a possibility its even better.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:17 AM

Yeah, definitely bet 6th. There is only one way you are beaten (rolled 8s), but there are six ways you are ahead. Note that he can’t have trip aces (two were dead on 3rd).

I actually like the river bet, especially after the bad check on 6th. Your check on 6th might looks suspiciously like a flush draw to him, so he might call you with unimproved kings. (Of course, it takes a special type of unthinking and over-aggressive opponent to re-raise here with something like 3sJsQs. If he know you wouldn’t make this play, Mike is right and you’re better off checking. Generally people tend to pay off on the river though).

Side note: Who would bet here on 6th after Beta checks? The check would be very confusing to me. I might bet.

One last thing: This hand is only borderline-playable, really. Since he’s solid, he should only be completing here with aces, kings, jacks and rolled eight. You’re a 45 : 55 dog against that range. You can still play here; but if there is a live ace behind you, you should probably muck it.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:25 AM

I think 3rd is close. He's not rolled up; first, you have an 8 making is less likely and second no one ever raises early with rolled 8s. He could have aces, but it basically comes down to Ks and Js. Since your kicker sucks and there is one Q and one 8 dead, I'd lean toward folding. Of course, if you play it you should raise, as you did.

I think we'd all be surprised if he didn't show down Kings up.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no one ever raises early with rolled 8s.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just isn’t true. I raise here 90%+ and there are definitely others who will fast play.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
no one ever raises early with rolled 8s.

This just isn’t true. I raise here 90%+ and there are definitely others who will fast play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. I'm raising here the majority of the time if I have rolled eights.