Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: session review, SSSH style

Yeah, I thought that format was great, but it was really cool how you not only converted the text (MrWookie bets, etc.), but you converted the cards with so that instead of 9h it was <font color="red"> 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] </font>.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:33 PM

yeah, but changing that stuff ended up being complex. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here's an example of what I just described would look like.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:54 PM

Holy nice response, batman!

23 so far. Keep 'em coming. Excel has 65536 rows, so there's still room left.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:00 PM

Bump for the Saturday crowd. We're up to 27 so far.

As an update, we'll continue with the plan as was done in the past for at least this session: you're paired up with two different people, and all levels/sites will be mixed together. There does not seem to be a significant push to change this layout.

Since this will be the 4th running of it, maybe we can do a status report in a couple weeks to see if the format is still agreeable to everyone.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:10 PM

Sure, why not? I'm a glutton for discussing hands.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:15 PM

Cool. Just so there's confirmation, here's the list so far:

numeri
bobman0330
Happydaz
DarkKnight
Levarkin
Chairman Wood
CollegeKid
PokerSparky
Peter Harris
MrWookie
scotty34
Disconnected
melquides
Mister Z
krimson
ADDboy
dietlime
milesdyson
mmmmmmbrother
lank4ever
leader
car ramrod
nadical
SnglMaltScotch
PokerPadawan
silencio
Guruman
Wynton
Koss

If you'd like in but aren't on the list, just PM me. (You can post here, but car_ramrod can tell you that it's usually best to send me a PM! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
Old 12-03-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll add my .02 for some nuts and bolts on the actual reviewing process

What I personally do is copy the session into Word and do a couple of quick find/replace searches.

If my reviewee was MrWookie (which it is this time around)
I'll replace
"MrWookie with" - "<font color="blue">MrWookie</font>" (its important to do this one FIRST)
"MrWookie checks" - with "<font color="green">MrWookie checks</font> "
"MrWookie calls" - with "<font color="green"> MrWookie calls</font>"
"MrWookie bets" - with "<font color="red">MrWookie bets</font> "
"MrWookie raises"- with "<font color="red">MrWookie raises</font>"
"MrWookie folds" - with "<font color="purple"> MrWookie folds </font> "

--then I'll copy the whole thing into Excel.--

Here I'll:

Click the column with the hand history (which selects the whole column) then hold shift and select the two columns next to it as well. With all three columns highlighted, right click and select format cells

-click the alignment tab
-set vertical to center
-check the wrap text checkbox

this will format the thing so that it all stays readable in one column. It also gives me a column right next to the hand history where I can post my own comments. Now that the text is set to wrap, when I type the cells automatically expand to accomodate.

The reason I format three columns is so that when I send it back to my reviewee, he can reply to some of my comments in the next cell over and not have to worry about formatting. I'll also tend to change the font color of my own reply column.

Now, I just sit down and go over the session. I'll hit control+F (which opens the find window) and type "dealt." This takes me to the beginning of each hand (as in "dealt to <font color="blue">MrWookie</font> [7s 2h]")

If he folded I'll just click "find next" and move on. If he didn't, I'll go into full on stream of conciousness mode and type what I would do before looking any further in the hand.

Disconnected seemed to really like seeing his whole session reviewed (I'm most of the way done with yours Wookie), and I enjoyed making my own reads on the opponents and advocating plays based on those reads.

I'll post an ex later on when I get to the house. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

freakin' brilliant.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:10 PM

I can't commit to making time for a review this round so I'll be sitting out this one. However, here are a couple of my thoughts on the process. (I've only participated once so far.)

1. Send your HH copied and pasted to an email, not as a file attachment. I had a bad experience couple years ago w/an attached file (from a friend - the problem was unintentional) and I won't even open most attachments from people I know personally, let alone someone I don't know. Nothing personal, that's just how I am.

2. Wish there was someway to sort by ability. I don't need to be advising anybody but noob's and maybe not even them. On the other hand I guess I get the best of both worlds - someone to critique my session and then someone to tell me how far off base I am when I screw up the critique of their's. I just think that a system of A-players, B-players, C-players and D-players (kinda like choosin up golf teams) might help. (I would rate myself a C-player and don't think I need to be advising A's or B's.)

edit: I was just thinking how absolutely fabulous guru's system is. I guess I'll have to get over my attachment phobia. It would have to be sent as an attachment wouldn't it?
Old 12-03-2005, 03:16 PM

Hey trainslayer,

Let me address your points:

1. I understand your concern. I don't have a problem with it, but either way works for me. I never open an attachment unless the email has an actual message addressed to me. Most viruses have messages like "hey, open this attachment." Also, there's no need to actually open the HH. I just save it to the desktop, import into PT, then delete it off my desktop. If it's not an actual HH, PT won't be able to read it and that will be that.

2. While I understand your sentiment, I think you're missing the point. All of the very experienced players here (the A-players, as you call them) realize that they're giving much more than they're getting. If they wanted to actually get as much out of this as possible, they'd hire a coach. Don't worry about it. I learn from evaluating the play of others - both good and bad - and I learn from explaining my thought process. So relax - don't feel guilty. You're not 'advising' the A and B players. You're giving your comments on their play and they're explaining their actions. It's all good.

EDIT: I just realized that my comments in part 2 made it sounds like I feel I'm one of the "A" players. Sooooo not true. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just save it to the desktop, import into PT, then delete it off my desktop. If it's not an actual HH, PT won't be able to read it and that will be that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip. I'll try this. Besides my paranoia is probably overkill.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're missing the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your right. Thanks agin.