Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Alter your play for donks - early game?

Please do, if you sit at my table and like getting all in on the flop on what will most times be a draw..
Old 11-09-2005, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please do, if you sit at my table and like getting all in on the flop on what will most times be a draw..

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i have to few posts to make this kind of joke huh
Old 11-09-2005, 07:34 AM

Nah, it was more a pointing out the fallacy of the guy who posted it in the first place than a dig at you, don't worry..
Old 11-09-2005, 10:53 AM

There is a reason I'm usually chip leader by Level 3. Implied odds against AA/KK are huge.

Again, raising with suited connectors in pf is +EV play if you know how to play post-flop.

If you don't know how to play post-flop, stick with premium pairs and AQs+ in early rounds. That tight strategy is good for beginners.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a reason I'm usually chip leader by Level 3. Implied odds against AA/KK are huge.

Again, raising with suited connectors in pf is +EV play if you know how to play post-flop.

If you don't know how to play post-flop, stick with premium pairs and AQs+ in early rounds. That tight strategy is good for beginners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worth reading again
Old 11-09-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Worth reading again

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh give it up already. Do you want me to post hand histories? It's a no brainer. Try it sometime. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:19 PM

I think the Harrington on Hold'em books are great advice for post-flop play. Raising with suited connectors from EP is a bad idea, IMHO.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:19 PM

derosnec,

The biggest flaw in your argument though is that while you will win a decent percentage of the time, simply saying that you'll have full access to that 20% of the time you'll win is inaccurate.

When you hit 2 pair or trips with 78s against AA, it's true that you'll often stack them. True of any 2 cards you hold when that situation arises. The issue is that the additional value of your suited connectors are your straight/flush possibilities, and more often than not they will still be possibilities on the flop. You will be flopping draws much more than made straights and flushes, and your opponent will be able to price you out of continuing on the flop with your draw. Simply saying that you'll stack the guy 1 out of 5 times is inaccurate because often you'll have to see the turn/river to do it, and he will often bet you out of your ability to do so.

And while you don't get to continue with your draw every time you make one, he does get to take you off your hand virtually every time you whiff. Because of this, your analysis that
[ QUOTE ]
So, 4 times I lose 100 chips (-400) and one time I win (800). Net +400 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]
is very skewed away from reality.

It's true that implied odds are nice to have, but that does not in and of itself make raising with them the correct play. Their value comes not from going heads up with them but playing small family pots where others can make a hand against you and the pot is small enough for you to continue against reasonable bets without crippling your stack.

*EDIT: In addition, the obvious issue that the blinds are pretty insignificant on the early levels makes it less beneficial to risk chips with speculative hands to steal them.

-SonnyJay
Old 11-09-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the Harrington on Hold'em books are great advice for post-flop play. Raising with suited connectors from EP is a bad idea, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

HOH has great advice, especially if you like to play tight. But raising with SC in EP is the correct thing to do - this is a technique of loose players like Erik Lindgren, who specifically recommends the raising EP with SC. But you have to know how to play postflop.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HOH has great advice, especially if you like to play tight. But raising with SC in EP is the correct thing to do - this is a technique of loose players like Erik Lindgren, who specifically recommends the raising EP with SC. But you have to know how to play postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both Dan Harrington and Erik Lindgren play multitable tournaments. They are often working with deeper stacks against larger fields, which requires different strategy than online SNGs. Just because online SNGs are tournaments doesn't mean that multitable strategy is universally applicable.

-SonnyJay