Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: A fine reason to ban weapons

[ QUOTE ]
As far as guns are concerned I believe the laws of the US and nearly all its states fall short.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guessing that you are not from the good old US of A, and your knowledge of America and of the gun situation here comes from the media. Don't believe everything you read or see on the telly.

You say "I believe" with no evidence except anecdotal stories. Tragic as they might be, they are no logical basis for "belief" or policy.

[ QUOTE ]
You presume that the current restrictions are sufficient and that further restrictions will do little to avert future tradegies. I do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, an opinion without facts. The fact is that current restrictions are not being fully obeyed or enforced (as evidenced by anecdotal evidence). My point is that it is irrational to say that these restrictions are insufficient when they are not being complied with. If they are complied with and prove to be insufficient, fine. Otherwise, it is complete speculation.

If you reduce the speed limit to 55 mph to save lives and fuel, and everyone drives 65 mph, you cannot draw any conclusions about whether the 55 mph limit is sufficient to save lives and fuel. Debating the impact of the current gun control laws is an exercise in futility if they are not being complied with. Passing more laws is equally pointless, because there is no reason to believe that they will be obeyed or enforced.

[ QUOTE ]
If your saying that enforcement is a big part of the problem then you are right but that doesn't mean that existing laws are enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it doesn't mean that they aren't enough either. The point is that the current legal structure and mind-set isn't working. Try something else.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
You cannot legislate away stupidity and incompetence. You can't make your house 100% child-safe, and you can't make the world 100% idiot-safe.

So don't try?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't try things that have been proven not to work. Our recent noble experiment with the assault weapons ban proved to be less effective than our noble experiment with the prohibition of alcohol.