Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 11:56 PM

Default 3rd street play

Assume all relevant cards are live

Bring in open completes and is all in showing a 4
I am next to act with (5J)J
One of the best players on party raises with a K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Next player to act is mediocre and cold calls with an A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Folded back around to me and I fold. Good? Weak? Standard?
Old 09-24-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: 3rd street play

I think that the fold is correct in a relatively low ante structure, but I'd be interested to hear arguments otherwise.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:03 AM

Standard.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:05 AM

You didn’t say if you called or raised to $10, but neither is correct; you should fold right away with two over cards behind you, and you should definitely fold to the raise.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:17 AM

Sorry, I raised but it was only to like 8.50 since the first dude was all in with his completetion.

You really think this is a fold? I thought it was a good spot to try and isolate but I suck I guess...
Old 09-24-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You really think this is a fold? I thought it was a good spot to try and isolate but I suck I guess...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Try and isolate the guy who is all-in? Seems to me that risk vs. reward is off. If the ante were higher, this might be correct, but here you are risking $85 to win $12.5. Then again, he isn’t going to play back at you, is he. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Don’t get me wrong. I WILL sometimes raise with jacks here. Say the bring-in is a total fish, or a total fish has already entered the pot or is very likely to enter it, and the guys holding the over cards are very tight. In that situation you will often be able to get it HU with a very weak player (preferable one that still has some $$$ left [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). But it is still risky, and shouldn’t be done if the players with the over cards are loose imo.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In that situation you will often be able to get it HU with a very weak player (preferable one that still has some $$$ left ). But it is still risky, and shouldn’t be done if the players with the over cards are loose imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

The K was Vintage_sara if that effects anything? I dont think she is comming in without the goods here. The A I was not worried about.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The K was Vintage_sara if that effects anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fold here if she raised me with a deuce up. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The K was Vintage_sara if that effects anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fold here if she raised me with a deuce up. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

She could really have fun if she read that...
Old 09-24-2005, 06:55 PM

I don't see the point in trying to isolate. Your hand is obvious, and people will already play more accurately because of the completion. I would call here, and fold to a raise from the A or K. With your line I'm not sure, but I wonder if there's enough money in the pot that you have to call this down unless the king makes an open pair. I'm too lazy to go and get my 7CSFAP to see what it says, but this is no longer a small pot, and you obviously have some equity here.