Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Pump you Up (Pushups)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Two-finger(index finger and thumb), thumb, and one finger push-ups are what wows me.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you see Bruce Lee's exhibition video of him doing a 1 thumb pushup?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've seen pictures of that. My martial arts instructor could do those, too. Pretty cool stuff.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:17 AM

Yeah that is pretty insane.

Handstand push-ups always struck me as pretty darn hard, at least compared to regular push-ups. I used to be a push-up fanatic, and did an incredible number of them almost daily for years -- on fingers, knuckles, clapping, with feet elevated, you name it practically, but I couldn't do anywhere near as many handstand push-ups.

I'd guess it depends how you train. Push-ups and dips were easy for me because I trained to do them so obsessively, but other guys who couldn't do nearly as many push-ups or dips as I could were still able to easily benchpress more than I could. Guess maybe it's that way with handstand push-ups, too. I don't remember ever being too great in them, though I could do other shoulder exercises very well.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:22 AM

Hey, thanks for the link, that's pretty cool.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...but other guys who couldn't do nearly as many push-ups or dips as I could were still able to easily benchpress more than I could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the low-intensity bodyweight exercises like normal pushups/pullups will not provide significant strength (unless performed with ENORMOUS explosiveness.) For example, when I could do 35 normal pullups I couldn't come close to beginning a one-arm pullup.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:27 AM

20 is a good starting point. I'm up to 35 now, but the last one is really slow and painful. I'll do 35 until it seems fairly easy, then move to 40. That should take a week (maybe less), one set per day. I did this about 10 years ago and got up to 100. I plan on getting there again soon.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will follow whatever the best advice in this thread seems to be in terms of training regimins, provided it takes less than a half-hour or so per day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to hear other people’s ideas on the best method also. I am going with 5 sets of declining reps, going not quite to failure, as I don't want to hurt myself. I am going to try and do it morning and night but I am sure I will wear out.

I will just take a day off and resume the torture the next day. Check out the links in my other posts for more ideas. I am still looking for the right approach myself. I have a habit of overtraining so I need to watch it.

[ QUOTE ]
if i can find the motivation to keep it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will hound you like a mad man if you don't post your results here once a week. Seriously you've done it now. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2005, 01:39 AM

Anyone else think this post would be about the delicious Flintstones ice cream treats?
Old 06-12-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
20 is a good starting point. I'm up to 35 now, but the last one is really slow and painful. I'll do 35 until it seems fairly easy, then move to 40. That should take a week (maybe less), one set per day. I did this about 10 years ago and got up to 100. I plan on getting there again soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like I need to lower the sets I am planning to do so I don't burn out. And if I stick with it I will get results. I have found this to be true with everything and it is the reason I made the thread. Welcome aboard ripdog it will be harder to quit the more of us there is!
Old 06-12-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...but other guys who couldn't do nearly as many push-ups or dips as I could were still able to easily benchpress more than I could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the low-intensity bodyweight exercises like normal pushups/pullups will not provide significant strength (unless performed with ENORMOUS explosiveness.) For example, when I could do 35 normal pullups I couldn't come close to beginning a one-arm pullup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, definitely.

I was looking over some links for that site and saw the page on "The Naked Warrior." The guy is talking about using one-armed push-ups and one-legged knee-bends/squats as your primary strength builders.

I used to do one-legged deep knee bends and they definitely are good exercises. They're definitely another one of those that surprisingly strong guys sometimes can't do. They tense your legs deep inside really close to the bone, in a way that regular squats don't do so much -- I guess because a lot of work is being done to stabilize you as you move, whereas with two legs, simple gravity takes care of a lot of your stabilizing automatically.

All the guys here talking about doing push-ups might want to add one-legged knee-bends in there. They're not the hardest exercise in the world, but do take some balance to do right. Just hang onto a bar or put your hand against a wall for balance while you do them, and you'll be fine. You don't have to do a whole lot of them to get a good work-out.

Consider that doing a one-legged squat is like having a whole other you sitting on your shoulders, but suddenly you have balance issues forcing much more complete tension throughout the leg, and it becomes a more interesting exercise. You don't have to do a lot of them to get a good work-out in.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:55 AM

I've read from many sources and viewed many articles about how overrated his strength was. He also has only like one official fight. Against Wong Jack Man I believe, and the results are skewed as hell. Every person's story is different. Linda, Lee's wife, says he beat Wong into submission. Lee says Wong was running from him. Other's say Wong outclassed Lee, but chose not to unleash his deadly kicks which would've wrecked Lee, and stopped the match.

Google it or something.