Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 08:17 AM

Default The Chasers

Used to play Stud back in college (ummmmmm....that would be a LONG time ago...lol) and about a month ago I decided to give HE a break and start playing again...

Did a lot of reading, looking at strategy etc to get back inot the stud playing mode... and know that i need some hands on to get better so I start playing some 2/4 both Stud and Stud8...

I guess my question is do the chasers just have no clue or is this some kind of wacko strategy? I have hands I bet max on every street and soemtimes even a monkey could tell from my up cards what I have but these guys plug away. I can't say how amny times I've seen a guy drawing for a gutshot srt8 and I know that's what he is drawign for and I also know that 3 of his cards are dead...

I'm not bitching, just trying to get an idea if this is just becasue I'm playing the 2/4 level or if it's this bad further up the ladder...which I guess in the long run is a good thing
Old 09-20-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: The Chasers

I think it's unlikely that someone is drawing for only a dead gut shot, maybe a pair as well as a gut shot or a pair,an overcard or 2, a back door flush and a gut shot? But if someone is drawing to a gut shot only, with 3 dead gut cards, don't bitch.....put a smile on your face and keep betting. As long as the poker gods aren't in the smiting mood, you should have most of his stake in about an hour. Which means, while you're waiting for your glasses, you may have paid for them!
Old 09-20-2005, 02:18 PM

The games tighten up as the limit rises, but bad play is the rule at almost all levels to an extent. 2-4 is fun poker for a lot of people and seven card stud is a drawout game. This keeps the fish coming back. Simply get max value out of your hands and play properly (which means laying down when u "know" you're beat and don't have odds to chase). When you see your opponents make a mistake that you wouldn't, you know you have an edge in the game and are making money sitting in it (whether you are at the time or not). It's all one long session.

Jeff
Old 09-20-2005, 08:53 PM

Some peoplejust take the name of the game too literally and will play till they see all 7 cards. But keep in mind that it is more correct to chase in stud than in holdem cauue even the underdog is not always that far behind and with many multi player hands it sometimes becomes anyones game. The most difficult stud game to try to win at is with each hand always starting with 4 or 5 players. good luck in that kind of game.

And while it is great to have chasers in a game, remember that it will almost always be necessary to show down the best hand.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:52 AM

Thanks guys....I seem to be on the right track thus far. Smart poker, max bet when ahead, not afraid to fold when I know I'm beat and looking for the perfect "sacrifice" to give the poker gots to keep the 1 and 2 out hitters to a minimum..lol
Old 09-21-2005, 12:30 PM

You want chasers! Games in which 6 people go to 4th are by far the best games on the net. Every time they make a mistake it means more money for you. These games are by far the easiest to beat, and if you're having problems now, it only gets worse as you go up. The varience is lower, not higher, in these super loose games.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You want chasers! Games in which 6 people go to 4th are by far the best games on the net. Every time they make a mistake it means more money for you. These games are by far the easiest to beat, and if you're having problems now, it only gets worse as you go up. The varience is lower, not higher, in these super loose games.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong
Old 09-21-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Hes correct except for the last senatance.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:56 PM

Either their play is correct - for example, they have a live flush draw, or, if they only have one or two outs, you want them to keep on calling. Surely this is pretty basic, or am I missing something here?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:03 PM

No, the last sentence is correct. By variance, I mean the risk of running a long losing streak. In very loose games, your win rate is so much higher than in tight games that your risk of running a losing streak is significantly less. If you win 5 BB per 100 hands in a very loose game and 2 BB per 100 hands in a tight game, You may drift farther from your projected average (5 vs. 2), but your win rate is so much higher that your risk of suffering a losing streak is less. Varience may technically be greater at the very loose games, but when most people think of varience, they think of the risk of a losing streak, which is significantly less at the very loose games.