Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Re: How much is position worth?

I was just looking for an average of all these hands and situations. But I agree it's worth more HU or short...especially with hands with showdown value. It also depends on the type of hand IMO. I don't think it matters quite as much for little pocket pairs multiway but I think it's a bigger advantage with something like 78s.

I limped in on the button with J9o twice yesterday after 4-5 pretty bad opponents entered and with passive blinds.

I think my first guess was in the ballpark for an average. Especially if you play well. I'd really like to hear some other thoughts including numbers though if anyone has the time. I know you're sort of out of any data based posts though Owen with your database lost.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just looking for an average of all these hands and situations. But I agree it's worth more HU or short...especially with hands with showdown value.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think your math in the OP was indisputable, assuming you play 25% of your hands from both positions.

IOne of the confusion points is that I wouldn't want to play .28bb to move all my playable hands - just the ones that are "position impacted." KQ wants the button. 33 really doesn't care where it plays.

But, of course, I'd probably pay more than .28bb to move KQ to the button. So, as far as an average value, I would guess 1/2 a small bet is probably fair.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to answer your specific question because I haven't had any caffeine yet, but I'll just say that I used to think that Tommy was nuts for the trashy hands he plays on the button. Nine months later I'm getting there.

Some button hands--and by button, I also mean CO with a tight button behind me--I played my last online session are: J9o, K7o, Q3s.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the winrate to variance tradeoff here in broad terms.

Or how much are you adding to your variance by opening up like this and is it worth doing that in terms of how much it adds to your win rate?