Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Small Suited Connector in the BB

Reads: MP3 is pretty loose pre-flop (VP about 27%), but has raised pre-flop about 20% of the time. From what I have seen so far, if his hand is something I would consider “playable”, he raises with it. If his hand is something I would throw away, he limps with it. Remaining players are passive.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Seems standard, since I don't expect to be dominated with the call.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls.

This flop likely missed MP3, so I raise for isolation. If any other player had led out before MP3, Id've folded without a second thought. The tactic worked here, but will it work often enough to be +EV? Hmmm.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (8.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14.25 BB, between Hero and MP3.</font>

---------------------------------------
I think that given the flop line, the turn and river are pretty standard. But comments on all streets are appreciated.

Jon
Old 10-12-2004, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Small Suited Connector in the BB

the flop raise is fine with a read like that.

mp3's line is one that when i'm being tilty i get caught in (i'm a LAG), raising too frequently with mediocre holdings getting called by observant opponents, leading the betting on the flop and flipping to check/call until i can hit my 2nd best hand... and yes, i'm working on this :-)

you were probably ahead from the flop on, but you knew that
Old 10-12-2004, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This flop likely missed MP3, so I raise for isolation.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the raise is correct, but for more important reasons than isolation. I'd do it to protect your hand. If you happen to hit your backdoor straight, it's unlikely someone will have a bigger one or you'd have to chop with them. Also you might fold anyone with hands like A4, K4, etc. The pot is pretty big so you can draw to your five-outer, plus you'd like to win it with aggression if possible.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:50 PM

You made your read, and played accordingly. Based on that, played fine all the way through IMO.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:16 PM

You played this well.

[ QUOTE ]
If any other player had led out before MP3, Id've folded without a second thought.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then start thinking about it. At least 9.5-1, middle pair, backdoor straight draw, harmless rainbow board. This is an easy call to draw to your outs. I'd estimate that folding here is EV = -0.5 SB considering your implied odds.