Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Using a scooter in poker rooms - Input Please

Hello all, I am currently unable to walk due to recent surgery and with upcoming surgeries I will not be walking for another 8-12 months. To make a long story short, I have a neurological disorder which makes it impossible for me to use crutches, walkers, etc. I will soon be buying an electric scooter to help me get out and around. I have only been to 3 poker rooms and all three were crowded (tables close together, etc.). I am wondering how easy/difficult it would be to use the scooter to get around in various poker rooms. From what I have seen it seems it would be difficult to fit between tables, etc. The scooter I am buying is only 20" wide and 37" long.

Does anyone here have any personal experience/advice about this? I have never used a scooter/wheelchair before and I am trying to figure out what I can expect to encounter.

-Rooster
Old 10-16-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Using a scooter in poker rooms - Input Please

I saw a girl on a scooter at the Aladdin and she never had a problem.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:13 PM

I would just call the poker room you are going to visit and ask them how well they will be able to accomodate you.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:25 PM

A guy comes in to the Gilpin in a wheelchair and seems to get around just fine. Players seem to be good about giving him enough room at the table, giving him space to get around the tables, etc.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:27 PM

A guy in a motorized wheelchair regularly plays at the room I play at, without fuss. . . when he gets there, the floorman comes over and has everyone scoot over to make room for him. You shouldn't have any trouble, although a call ahead might be worthwhile.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:28 PM

Ralph at Canterbury uses one. Nobody has a problem with it.
Players just scooch over a little more than usual.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:44 PM

Where are you?

Pretty much anyplace in the US must accomodate you by law, but what you are really asking is where won't it be a pain in the ass. At almost every table you will be just fine if they pull a chair away and you take that spot. I've seen plenty of people use wheelchairs @ Borgata more or less without a problem. Getting to the table is the real hassle but even drunk crotchety poker players have the deceny to move so a wheelchair can get by.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:48 PM

You shouldn't have a problem.

There are several here in Phoenix that use scooters. Sure sometimes it's a bitch for them, but most rooms, players, dealers, etc will make it workout for you.

There is one guy here that has to have the dealer handle his cards and chips, and he does just fine, tough player in fact.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:57 PM

According to the 1991 ADA any poker room is required to accomodate you. They are within rights to ask that you transfer to a manual wheelchair though.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:03 PM

Side thought.. if you are able to transfer to a regular chair they will probably be happy to store the scooter/wheelchair out of the way somewhere and get it for you when you want to leave. My mom needs a wheelchair to get around but she is able to get out of it and sit in a regular chair when she gets wherever she is going. This has made things a million times easier in the past at restaurants/theaters/etc.