Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-31-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Is it time to move up?

[ QUOTE ]
I personally dont think you should move up from 2-4, until you can average 2BB/100 over a 100,000 hand sample. I am a very conservative person though. If you can do this over your next 100,000 hand run, then I think your ready for a higher ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're playing day games, this is extremely difficult to do, and isn't directly related to your ability. 100k hands isn't as large of a sample as some would think. I've run 100k sections at 2/4 that vary something like this:

To those saying play 4 of 3/6, cuz it's less work. It's also less money.

To the OP, 8 tabling 2/4 certainly is a safe way to make quite a bit of money, and it's probably enough money to pay what you need to pay. However, it's probably true that you can make more. You don't have to make the jump all at once. Play four 3/6 tables on one monitor and four 2/4 tables on the other...or something like that if you want.

Also, if I were you, I'd start mining the new levels before you can't anymore.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:57 AM

Default This sounds right

The key word you used for me here is "safe" I think I will wait until I am not reliant on poker for living expenses again before I make a jump. The only thing that might entice me is if Party starts offering $ for player points. Your point rate doubles at the 3/6 level so it might be worth the jump.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts
Old 12-31-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there something coming that will prevent this?
Old 12-31-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there something coming that will prevent this?

[/ QUOTE ]

The new party beta does not allow mining, but also you need to mine a ton so you have hands on everyone before you start anyhow.

Also, I say F the mid limits unless you are going to play 6-max. If you can stand learning 6-max then I would definitely do so as it has been very lucrative for many a player. Otherwise I would just continue to punish 2/4 at 8 tables. You can definitely increase you bb/100 as well at this level. High 2s and even 3s are very attainable with solid play and good table selection.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I personally dont think you should move up from 2-4, until you can average 2BB/100 over a 100,000 hand sample. I am a very conservative person though. If you can do this over your next 100,000 hand run, then I think your ready for a higher ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're playing day games, this is extremely difficult to do, and isn't directly related to your ability. 100k hands isn't as large of a sample as some would think. I've run 100k sections at 2/4 that vary something like this:

To those saying play 4 of 3/6, cuz it's less work. It's also less money.

To the OP, 8 tabling 2/4 certainly is a safe way to make quite a bit of money, and it's probably enough money to pay what you need to pay. However, it's probably true that you can make more. You don't have to make the jump all at once. Play four 3/6 tables on one monitor and four 2/4 tables on the other...or something like that if you want.

[/ QUOTE ]
Qtip, thanx for the reply, since I dont know anyone who has played more 2-4 than you, I will trust your judgement.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you sound like a pretty solid player. i think you should try it especially since its not even a full 2 times the limit you're playing now. if you were moving from 5/10 to 10/20 i'd say to be much more conservative but you sound pretty safe. plus the difference between 2/4 and 3/6 in my opinion is very small.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. IMO the jump from 2/4 to 3/6 full is one of the most difficult single level jumps. Not only does the standard improve, but the game plays very differently.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:23 PM

Yeah, what Qtip said. Weekday morning/early afternoon games sort of suck compared to later times/weekends. But having evenings and weekends free sort of rocks. Anyway, there's a big big difference in expectation playing at 9-11 AM EST and 9-11 PM EST. So saying you "should" average at least 2BB/100 isn't necessarily true.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:29 PM

So then, how much do you think a decent player playing like 1-5pm and 8pm-midnight can expect to make in BB/100? I was always aiming for around 2BB/100, but after 60k hands I'm at like 1.7 . And I just read the Ed Miller article where he says that people should really be playing 6max. What would be better for my overall growth as a player, moving 'up' to 1/2 6max or up to 3/6 full? I have no previous 6 max experience. If you guys recommend moving to 6max, can I expect to make the same amount of money 4tabling that as I can 4tabling 2/4 full? Because I'm giving it a shot at doing this for a living, and I don't think I really want my current income to drop.

OP, sorry for the hijack by the way. Just felt it was pointless to start a new topic about this.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:37 PM

I don't really like discussing BB/100 here. Everyone has room for improvement in this game. I just mentioned it because there is a definite difference in expectation for ANYONE between the times mentioned. But 6-max games are very good if you don't mind a bit more variance. I didn't read Ed's article but I certainly don't disagree.