Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Re: I say I\'m sorry as I check-raise

[ QUOTE ]
instead of sorry, you should have said. "reverse sklansky implied pot odds"

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 11-18-2005, 10:16 AM

Saying sorry is a bad move. Best bet is to keep quiet, the tension will probably go away after the next hand is dealt.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:24 AM

Just shut up and play.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Sounds like he was probably just letting off a bit of steam.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy was just ticked because he lost money, or perhaps felt his ego was bruised. I wouldn't analyze this too much, cause you can't please everybody. When I'm at a table i just try to be myself and don't worry about pissing people off. I mean, really if somebody is getting pissed over something like this, they need to get the stick out of their ass.
Hopefully he'll just tilt against you next time you plan and you can clean up.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:12 AM

I just say "spiked ya"

Then if he gets mad i laugh and say "well you did hit the Ace on the turn!" because nobody likes a cranky table.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:37 PM

quietly whisper "pwn"
Old 11-18-2005, 12:41 PM

I farking hate this.

I mean, I understand what you're talking about in that you're not cackling with glee about getting in the c/r on this guy, but you're not REALLY sorry and saying it comes off as fake.

If you're saying sorry as you do it, you're not sorry. Being truly sorry would mean you don't do it. Nobody expects you to softplay to prevent hurt feelings, anyway, so no need to offer a half-heated apology.

Everyone sits at the table with the implicit understanding that they're trying to take money from everyone else at the table. Bluffs, check-raises, slowplays, blind steals, it's all fair game.

In the big picture, you didn't even really suck out. You had the best hand going in by a big margin, he caught on the turn, you caught on the river. Best hand going in won the money.

I had a donkey run me down with A3o when I had him dominated and he went runner-runner for the wheel, and he apologized. That cheesed me more than the beat, and I said (politely) to him "Hey, don't apologize. You don't really mean it and I don't expect you to feel bad. You play your cards any way you want to, and what happens happens."

The idea being I don't want him to feel bad, because the other 9 out of 10 times when he misses and I win, I won't feel bad either.

I will admit to not being blameless in this area, though I try. I will try and say something like "Ouch." or "Man, if I'd known you had THAT..." when I suck out or put a bad beat on someone. Say "I guess I lucked out there" instead of "Sorry", or something.

A couple of times in the past (earlier on in my vocal steam/tilt control efforts), I mouthed off more than I should have. When I noticed I'd offended (once I too openly/loudly laughed at/mocked a donkey's play and the other time I was sticking up for a fish against a drunk TC who got drunk-angry), I'd apologize (sincerely) and buy the guy a beer. Pretty easily a +EV investment long term in both cases.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

but you still check-raised him, so how sorry can you be? If you're going to say 'sorry' before the hand is over, just donk the river and apologize, don't check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate apologizers in these situations. Especially when one sucks out and then apologizes. Honestly, if you're sorry, then give me back my [censored] money. If not, then you're not [censored] sorry.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

but you still check-raised him, so how sorry can you be? If you're going to say 'sorry' before the hand is over, just donk the river and apologize, don't check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate apologizers in these situations. Especially when one sucks out and then apologizes. Honestly, if you're sorry, then give me back my [censored] money. If not, then you're not [censored] sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Relax, Tik... "Sorry" is just a bashful admission that you know you sucked out (regardless of whether you should have folded on the turn or not)...

...and BTW, I think I recall apologizing to you once when I rivered you... if not, I am sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 01:09 PM

Hi Brett,

You're not sorry and shouldn't say so. Andy Fox corrected me one time because I commented that I got "lucky" to an opponent. Are your opponents sorry when they hit their prayer on the river against you? I think not. Don't say anything, everyone knows what already happened, so comments are not necessary.

You should have bet the river. This would have solved two problems, keeping the game friendly, and making sure the river is bet.