Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 10:58 PM

Default i suck. underpairs suck too.

After losing an ungodly number of bets (a good many of them deservedly), I need to find a way to turn down the suck before I have to do something drastic like get a job.

I'm going to pretend that I don't know anything about poker (which is apparently not far from the truth) and take a little break from drinking to post a few hands. I thought about making a new account to help ensure that I get treated like the fish that I am, but I think I can count on everyone not already in the know to quickly figure out how much I suck at this game and respond accordingly.

Apologies in advance if I make any eyes bleed.

Empire Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font>

I'm playing .5/1 in the hopes that I'll lose money less quickly. It's only sort of working. I haven't seen too much from Villain. He's played quite a few hands pf so far, and has been passive both pre and post flop. He's also shown an ability to fold (I'd guess he's somewhere around 30-35/&lt;5/0.5 and in the mid 30s WTSD)

Preflop: dumbass is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">dumbass raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls.

Tight blinds. Tight table for that matter. Villain is about as good as it gets and I raise to isolate.

Flop: (5.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">dumbass bets</font>, MP3 calls.

It's probable that Villain has caught something once he calls. Either a pair or draw. How's that for pokering? I rule at hand ranges.

Turn: (3.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, dumbass ???

I can obviously fold if I'm raised. Villain may or may not bet the river when I'm beaten. Checking is unlikely to induce a bluff.

What's a poor clueless dumbass to do? Or is he in this spot unnecessarily? Should he have folded pf? Called pf? Checked through the flop and hoped for a set? Small pot, but it's on track for the 4-5 BB average.

All suggestions welcome. While well below hero status, dumbass aspires to be a sidekick again some day.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Re: i suck. underpairs suck too.

I check behind, and fold to a bet on the river. If villain has a J or Q, you're basically drawing dead, and if the villain only has a draw from the board (i.e. gutshot), he still has a shiatload of outs to beat you. Given that he's called the flop, I don't think you have enough fold equity to fire another shot here, unless you're certain he won't chase down a gutshot to the river. Given that you have no real idea if he has only the gutshot draw, I think you can check and fold to a bet.

I tend to lose money in situations like this because I usually fire again on the turn, and check behind on the river, but don't really consider that everything in the range of hands calling the flop beats me or is drawing big to beat me.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:12 PM

Bah... ya that hand stinks to high heaven, because no matter what the advice it feels wrong somehow.

I would bet.... you've shown nothing for strength, he might fold a pair of Q or J there, if he has a pair and a draw he's staying in to end...
Old 10-14-2005, 11:25 PM

Dear Dumbass,

I too have been enthralled with the 2+2 ideal that fish will fold if you bet till your eyes bleed. It doesn't work that often with bottom pair.

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen too much from Villain. He's played quite a few hands pf so far, and has been passive both pre and post flop. He's also shown an ability to fold (I'd guess he's somewhere around 30-35/&lt;5/0.5 and in the mid 30s WTSD)

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if he has a piece he'll call. Otherwise he'll fold. Raise? Out of the question. So, if you have top pair or top 2, bet. Otherwise check.

Save your money for real hands.

Signed,

Brother Dumbass
Old 10-15-2005, 12:15 AM

Hi detruncate,

If you think that specifically this opponent will call the flop with something like 66 and then fold the turn, then you should probably bet. Or if he might have had Kxs and would call the flop with gutshot but then fold the turn incorrectly, you should bet.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:35 AM

This flop is bleh. So, he's slightly loose and pretty passive, meaning there's a buttload of hands that he has here which are ahead of you. I like the pf raise and flop bet. That flop bet is the last money I'm putting in UI, though.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:42 AM

I like the preflop raise and the flop bet.

Check behind and fold on the river if he bets. He might have a king or ten and you're still ahead, but you're most likely beat. Even the fish can drop 95o when the flop comes AQJ.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:07 AM

Default results

One of my current issues is that I'm wasting too many bets. This is a good example. I see an Ace and decide that it's worth firing another barrel. Even though it really doesn't change much considering that Villain is still behind if he was calling with a PP and is very likely to have a draw if he hit the board (and is therefore not folding)

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font>

Preflop: dumbass is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">dumbass raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (3.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, dumbass checks.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB.

Results:
MP3 has Td Qd (two pairs, aces and queens.)
dumbass has 7h 7d (two pairs, aces and sevens.)
MP3 wins 5.25 BB.

Apparently I had 77 13 times in 900 ish hands this session for a net loss of 6 BB. 3 for 13, not a single bet put in post flop by my opponents with a second best hand, and something like 3-4 BB spewage on my part. Awesome.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: results

I would of played it like you did.

If the river is a brick then I might bet hoping to fold a better pair + busted straight draw.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:16 AM

Default Re: results

I play the same shitty style of poker you do, and have the results to show for it. Keep posting!