Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Civ4 - Review & Trailer

Check this out. Collector's edition at the same price the regular edition is at elsewhere. This is at outpost.com.

[ QUOTE ]
Civilization IV - Collector's Edition
Take 2:
For Windows
Outpost #: 4586387
# Contents of the Civilization IV Collector's Edition Collector's case: Navy blue "leatherette" bookshelf case embossed with the Civilization IV logo.
# CD Soundtrack: Containing original compositions by Christopher Tin (http://christophertin.com/news.html) and Jeffrey Briggs (composer of Civilization II), as well as classical pieces throughout the ages.
# Keyboard template: A die-cut keyboard layout for quick reference to keyboard commands during the game.
# Tech Tree map: A foldout poster that displays the tech tree for ease of reference. A tech tree is a path you need to take with your scientific research in the game in order to reach certain goals. The path you take helps shape the society you create and help shapes you as a leader. Here's an example: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/techtree/
# Spiral bound manual: The 250pp+ manual is upgraded from the standard perfect bound to a spiral bound version, allowing it to sit flat while open.

Limit 1 per Household.

[/ QUOTE ]

The spiral binding sounds handy, but most of all the fold-out tech tree map. I found this invaluable in Civ 2 for laying out the choices in a quick, easy to read format.

Outpost strangely enough has their regular version at the same price, but with free shipping. I've dealt with them before by the way, and they did an excellent and reliable job.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:30 PM

I mean of course the process isn't short, but one of the multiplayer options is a simultaneous play mode, so each player is taking his turn at the same time. This can cause a couple of problems when people are fighting (one person just waiting for the other to move before moving his own units), but it is well worth it for the amount of time it shaves off the game. Civ 2 multiplayer took such a long time I don't think our games ever even got to gunpowder.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:42 PM

Simultaneous play? That sounds interesting. I wonder how popular that will become. I'm not sure this would create problems with people choosing not to move till you do, because that's simply a strategy choice, which you can address by moving. Initiative often has just as much or more value than counter-attack.

It does sound like it could make games manageably short, as in perhaps taking a single longish night session of four or five hours.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I went out of my way today to go to State St. and pick this up, and they DIDN'T [censored] HAVE IT. I guess I'll go back tomorrow [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys DO know it's not out until Nov 4th, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

was supposed to be out Oct 24, yesterday.

EDIT: Nov 4th is the european release date.

[/ QUOTE ]

check gamespot. it says Nov 4th. gamespot is not usually wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I called Gamestop in Bellevue, WA today, they said it would be on sale tomorrow. All the US preorders supposedly shipped today.

Freakin
Old 10-25-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I went out of my way today to go to State St. and pick this up, and they DIDN'T [censored] HAVE IT. I guess I'll go back tomorrow [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys DO know it's not out until Nov 4th, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

was supposed to be out Oct 24, yesterday.

EDIT: Nov 4th is the european release date.

[/ QUOTE ]

check gamespot. it says Nov 4th. gamespot is not usually wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

gamespot says 10.25 on the front page. scroll down
Old 10-25-2005, 10:00 PM

so I have a laptop with 16mb video memory. I know that this is below the minimum so does that mean my computer will be completely unable to run it? Is there any way I can turn down all of the graphics so that it will work? I wish there were USB video cards for laptops :[
Old 10-25-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so I have a laptop with 16mb video memory. I know that this is below the minimum so does that mean my computer will be completely unable to run it? Is there any way I can turn down all of the graphics so that it will work? I wish there were USB video cards for laptops :[

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say no freakin way you can run it with that setup.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:04 PM

Some new laptops do come with replaceable video cards. The leap has finally been made.

I think your system would completely choke on Civ 4.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:39 PM

It's Civ 1 for you!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:45 PM

From the official Civ site:

[ QUOTE ]
# New Multiplayer Options

# Variable game speed – hosts can choose quick or epic timescales, depending on the amount of time players can commit to a game.
# Hot join – join a game in progress by taking over an AI opponent.
# Team play – whether playing multiplayer or single player, team play offers a new way of setting locked alliances that result in shared wonder effects, technology, visibility, unit trading and shared territory that delivers a plethora of new strategic and tactical options.
# Simultaneous Turns – speeds up multiplayer games by allowing players to take their turns at the same time, rather than waiting in turn for each player to finish their move.
# Connectivity – LAN, Internet, and Play By Email allow options to suit multiple play styles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Team play sounds pretty cool.