Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Preflop Strategy For NLHE Cash Games

I want to start playing NLHE cash games, but I am unsure about what to do preflop. I would be playing at partypoker where they have a max buy in of 100 times the BB. Would you guys give me some personal advice/tips, book recommendations, article recommendations, etc... that can show/teach me how to be a solid preflop player in NLHE. Basically, I just want to start off on the right foot in the NLHE cash games.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Preflop Strategy For NLHE Cash Games

[ QUOTE ]
I want to start playing NLHE cash games, but I am unsure about what to do preflop. I would be playing at partypoker where they have a max buy in of 100 times the BB. Would you guys give me some personal advice/tips, book recommendations, article recommendations, etc... that can show/teach me how to be a solid preflop player in NLHE. Basically, I just want to start off on the right foot in the NLHE cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read Harrington's 1st book. That will give you early round tournament NL strategy, which should help you get a feel for full ring games as far as preflop goes. Unfortunately, most of your money is made and lost in NL post flop, and that subject is far too vast for any book to cover sufficiently.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:53 PM

If I were you I'd start off weak-tight and build your game from there, playing cards like AK, AA-JJ, with a raise from any position, and limping lower pocket pairs using the 5-10 rule (see skeme's FAQ if you are unsure of what this is).

After you start getting a bit more confident start expanding your hand range with position, post lots of hands, reads lots of 2+2 etc.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:59 PM

How would you answer a post that says "I'm going to be playing limit holdem. What should I do preflop?" Perhaps your response would be some questions? Such as:
- What stakes?
- Aggro opponents/passive opponents?
- Short-handed or full ring?
- Loose or tight opponents preflop?
- What is your table image?
etc.

No one can tell you how to play preflop with just a stock answer. And it doesn't matter anyways. Worry more about postflop.