Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: To You and all knowledgable of antivirus/firewall software

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get a hardware router/firewall with NAT, and use a software solution like ZoneAlarm

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone seems to be advocating ZoneAlarm. Has it significantly improved since I last used it? It used to be a serious resource whore. I guess there is not reason to switch from KPF anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZA has memory leaks associated with certain programs (like Azureus, etc) causing high CPU usage%. They're constantly plugging up holes.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:29 PM

I was going for ease of use when I suggested zonealarm. I haven't personally used it for over 3 years. If there are better options for cheap (i think a version of zonealarm is free) then list them here.

I don't do anything more on my own machine than a NAT firewall and regular data backups.

Freakin
Old 05-11-2005, 03:45 PM

Zonealarm is such a piece of crap. It prompts you when anything happens. It gets very annoying.

If you're on broadband, get yourself a Linksys router and then lock the router down. If there's only one PC on the router, disable DHCP and statically assign yourself an IP. If there's more than one PC on the network, use DHCP, but limit the amount of addresses it gives out to that number of PCs. Also, set it to only allow the MAC addresses of the PCs on your network to have access.

Use Windows XP SP2. Their firewall is pretty darn good. It disables most incoming ports on your PC, if a hacker even gets through your firewall, which is unlikely.

What probably happened is your PC is on broadband but it's connected directly to the piece of equipment your cable/phone company gave you. Your PC has a public IP address, and the hacker was probably doing a port scan on the entire network. Your open port gave this guy something to work with and he exploited probably a very well known MS vulnerability that could have been prevented with the latest patches. If you have a Linksys router/firewall, a port scan will hit your IP address and just keep on going because it won't respond.

Oh and set Automatic Updates to check for updates and automatically install them once a day. That way you don't have to worry about it.