Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: TEX\'S 2 CENTS<<<<<<

[ QUOTE ]
When you step back and reflect on some of the things we do at the poker table, you have to admit, we're sick. What we do to ourselves is brutal. Our highs and lows are like peaks and valleys. I think that an avid day trader could relate to some of what we do in terms of money lost/money made. This game can suck the life out of you today and make you feel like you're godzilla with chips tomorrow. Being able to have an indifferent response to these things is perhaps one of the most difficult aspects to deal with. Think back to when you were a kid, and twenty bucks was a small fortune to you. Or think about now, today, those of you who have a day job that pays a respectable 45K/yr. You could blow through that in a bad month at 100-200 limit on party. It really is mind blowing that what we post in a blind every ten hands is more than most people make in a day. Sick. It's a rare breed who can handle the swings with an even keel. And I think that this is a characteristic of a consumate professional. You truly have to have an indifference in the outcome and an unwavering confidence that you made the correct decision. Poker is a lifestyle, and it is the lifestyle of the obsessive/addictive. Those of us who wake up thinking about it, spend all day working on it, playing it, talking about it, skip social occasions to play more of it, and go to bed watching re-runs of the WSOP and considering if a raise on fourth street would have driven the mediocre hand out and whether or not in the long term thats what we want to happen, well....we're a different breed. I look at my poker money as bullets, not dollars. It's just ammunition, and the game never ends. It's just a continuation of where i left off when i left the table last time....

It's a brutal game, but consider how well you have handled high stress/high pressure situations since you became a high stakes player...and i'm referring to real life situations...i think that after a certain amount of it, you become almost numb to sitautions that really jack with everyday folks.

Good luck with the swings BK. You and only you really know whether or not you want to play as high as you do, and if you can handle the ups and downs. As far as i'm concerned, if it's what you love to do, dont hesitate. Very few people ever get the chance to do what you're doing on a daily basis. GL.

TEX

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this was your first good post ever, but it was a very good one, definitly hit the nail on the head.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:43 AM

Thank you. I appreciate that.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:27 AM

Great post. I agree 100% with everything you said.

Jeff
Old 10-14-2005, 11:44 AM

What an excellent post. For me personally, I'm the kind of person that constantly needs that nervous feeling in my gut, that feeling that you are taking a calculated chance for real stakes, whether it be trying a big criminal jury trial or playing mid to high stakes hold em. Doing something that I know other folks don't have the ability or guts to do. For me, I can't live without that feeling -- it's who I am.

That being said, I don't live by the "chicken today, feathers tomorrow" reckless attitude we hear so much about, regarding the real high stakes players. Like Anthony Holden, I prefer chicken.

I have been lucky enough in life to end up in a situation where I can be my own boss, and live how I want to live. It took some hard work, and some sacrifices. Almost 36 years old, and still single. But, I have a wonderful family, and I am happy. I make a decent buck, but what really counts is that I can wake up and really enjoy going into the office. I make enough to do the things in life I enjoy: not more, not less.

Poker for me has always been a source of entertainment first, income 2nd. If I stop enjoying it, I will quit playing.

Sorry about the mindless babbling.

TSP
Old 10-14-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Admitting defeat

FWIW, I think many players would be well-served to really give some serious thought about the things that Lars has said in this thread.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:45 PM

Did the whole peachy thing fall through TSP? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 12:48 PM

As far as my brownies? Yep - never got 'em.

Regarding marriage? Yep, that fell through, too. She said I didn't make enough $.

TSP
Old 10-14-2005, 12:53 PM

Probably so that no one could say what she really looks like, cuz im sure criminal lawyers who make a buck playing poker dont do too badly for themselves [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When you step back and reflect on some of the things we do at the poker table, you have to admit, we're sick. What we do to ourselves is brutal. Our highs and lows are like peaks and valleys. I think that an avid day trader could relate to some of what we do in terms of money lost/money made. This game can suck the life out of you today and make you feel like you're godzilla with chips tomorrow. Being able to have an indifferent response to these things is perhaps one of the most difficult aspects to deal with. Think back to when you were a kid, and twenty bucks was a small fortune to you. Or think about now, today, those of you who have a day job that pays a respectable 45K/yr. You could blow through that in a bad month at 100-200 limit on party. It really is mind blowing that what we post in a blind every ten hands is more than most people make in a day. Sick. It's a rare breed who can handle the swings with an even keel. And I think that this is a characteristic of a consumate professional. You truly have to have an indifference in the outcome and an unwavering confidence that you made the correct decision. Poker is a lifestyle, and it is the lifestyle of the obsessive/addictive. Those of us who wake up thinking about it, spend all day working on it, playing it, talking about it, skip social occasions to play more of it, and go to bed watching re-runs of the WSOP and considering if a raise on fourth street would have driven the mediocre hand out and whether or not in the long term thats what we want to happen, well....we're a different breed. I look at my poker money as bullets, not dollars. It's just ammunition, and the game never ends. It's just a continuation of where i left off when i left the table last time....

It's a brutal game, but consider how well you have handled high stress/high pressure situations since you became a high stakes player...and i'm referring to real life situations...i think that after a certain amount of it, you become almost numb to sitautions that really jack with everyday folks.

Good luck with the swings BK. You and only you really know whether or not you want to play as high as you do, and if you can handle the ups and downs. As far as i'm concerned, if it's what you love to do, dont hesitate. Very few people ever get the chance to do what you're doing on a daily basis. GL.

TEX

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this was your first good post ever, but it was a very good one, definitly hit the nail on the head.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-14-2005, 01:37 PM

Awesome post. You are quite right about how the insanity of this game can make us really calm and numb when it comes to everyday annoyance. Five years ago if there was a real old lady taking forever in line at a grocery store I'de be steaming like a hot kettle. Now it's like, 'Bah whatever. Better than getting those Kings snapped in that 29 bet pot.' If I could only be truly numb and calm with poker all the time, sigh.