Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Mucked the best hand, WWYD?

I can't believe the number of problems that arise at showdowns. Firstly, why not simply announce at the start of your event very clearly that it is ALWAYS the players responsibility to protect his/her hand? I always try to alert players who just toss their cards in the air at showdown that its a bad idea, just turn them over directly in front of you and do not allow anyone to touch them before a winner is declared.

However, since I doubt any players were warned, how can you not give the poor fellow the pot? How on earth can any player accept such a pot under these conditions? The line between cheating, stealing, angle shooting, and just poor ethics is very thin in this circumstance. It is clear to everyone involved that one player here has a flush. His hand was the best hand without a question. So to award the pot to the other player is just plain stealing. Secondly, the person who accepted the pot is just as guilty as well. He knows darn well that it was not his pot to be won. Why is everyone so interested in following every rule exactly as worded, yet not the last rule that says the floor can make any decision that is in the best interest of the game. Awarding the best hand the pot is THE MAIN PURPOSE OF POKER!!

In one of my first live sessions at a B&M, I had a situation arise that could have ended in a bad way. I was in the #1 seat, I made a flush and had 2 callers on the river. I showdown my hand directly in front of me without saying what I had. In those times, I had a tough time fighting the adrenaline rush and simply would have a hard time talking so I just let the dealer read my hand even though I always knew what I had. As I was looking to see if the other 2 had a better flush the dealer took my cards and awarded the pot to an elderly guy sitting right across from me. I immediately objected, the dealer was shocked and clearly misread my hand. Before the floor could even be called, the gentleman said he saw my hand. He knew I had the best hand and pushed me the pot. If we were to get a floor decision, I likely do not win this pot if were not for the gentleman who saw my hand and did the right thing. I did still learn two things, protect your hand and announce your hand...