Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Job Offer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A stock broker's assistant makes over $100,000 in New York City? Wow. Our assistant's must be working for the wrong firm!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It varies greatly btwn firms and brokers, this is a top broker at a top 5 firm. They do HUGE business, and assistants tend to get paid well with the big producers

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see how it would possible hurt to try the job out. I recently have gone pro because I can make at least twice playing cards than what my old job payed. Now...if they offered me six figures and benefits, I would probably still be there.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:06 PM

Serious answer: Take the job, play on the side and use the first paycheck to move into an apartment that cuts the commute in three or less.

Where (approximately) is the office? I'm thinking a studio or 1 BR in midtown is going to pay for itself given that's time you're not playing.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:53 PM

question is can you keep making money at poker? Seems the fish are drying up. party is down on playership (if that is a word). If you don't take the opportunity now it may never come again. BUT after being your own boss how would you feel taking orders from someone else. I know that I would not like it much. I plan on going back to work when my grandmother passes away. I like playing poker but it has become a grind. The big problem is that I am not sure if I can handle being told what to do. Actually I know that I won't work for someone else. I gotta be da man if I go back to work. Currently I am looking at tropical fish farms or possibly a USAR Pro Cup Racing team owner. The other possiblity is to buy a small house, nothing fancy and just live out my days not doing much other than playing online poker and making fishing sinkers. Grandmother has a few years left so I have the time to let my money earn some more interest (from my house I sold, retirement fund from work, poker and sinker money that I rathole away).

I don't think the online poker world will be a different animal in the future. Now that poker sites are going public, they will start putting profits and investor relations over customers, it will go downhill. Not go out, but certainly be worse off than it is now.

I would take the job personally.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:00 PM

I have the solution.

Keep playing poker. Have your people call me. I will take your old job for 90% of your prior salary. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Plus - I miss working in the city!
Old 09-13-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But what if I can make 100k playing cards?

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think the probability of increasing that wage over the next few years is greater in your poker career or your computer career? You're probably going to get yearly raises and bonuses in your computer career but, unless you continue to improve at poker, are able to beat bigger limits, and the action at your current AND future higher limits continues to be good your poker wage is going to remain constant.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:04 PM

Here's the deal: Don't work 50+ hour weeks. I never have, and I'm in an industry (programming) where many do. JUST SAY NO. It's an attitude. In this industry, there are occasional emergencies/rollouts to production web sites you are asked to do after hours/work extra. Later that week, I just say "hey, I'm leaving at 3 today because I worked late the other day." Don't ask. Just do. Make it clear that you expect comp time for working extra.

I know many think they will fall behind, etc., but I don't care. I'm not interested in management (done it, hated it). I work at a start up, so hopefully my stock options will pay off. I have never had a job where I have averaged more than, MAYBE slightly over 40 hours (i'm talking 42, tops), since I graduated college.

On to the OPs question: Have you considered consulting and /or part time for your original company? If they value your work that highly, go for it.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:10 PM

but $100k in NYC isn't that much. My 72.5K in middle america (OK), the salary calcs show I need to earn $135K in NYC to rent, $235k to own.. ouch.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:33 PM

Can you get wifi and play poker on the bus?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
going to pay me $250,000+ per year that I can earn by playing poker without a college degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

What?
Old 09-13-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the deal: Don't work 50+ hour weeks. I never have, and I'm in an industry (programming) where many do. JUST SAY NO. It's an attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice, there is no need and once you start it is hard going back!