Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Job Offer

Amazingly my old company called me today,and seems to be ready to offer me a job...... I really have no idea what to do.

I've been playing full time for almost a year now, The lifestyle is AWESOME, the money has been very good, the hours are great, the freedom is amazing. But I dont know what I should say if they make an offer.

I am thinking 100k + bonus would get me back (or a total comp of 150+). I really dont know what to do, This could be my biggest decision I ever make, as it possibly can change the rest of my life [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

HELP!
Old 09-13-2005, 04:48 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Re: Job Offer

Not trying to be funny, but it depends. There are so many factors that go into a decision like this that it's difficult for virtual strangers to advise you. If you feel that you like being a professional poker player enough, and are confident you can keep winning enough to meet your needs and wants, then stick with it. If you'd rather have the security of a job, you can always play poker in your spare time.

Ultimately, only you can decide which course is better for you.

-Mike
Old 09-13-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and are confident you can keep winning enough to meet your needs and wants, then stick with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the only problem, there are so many people predicting this will end soon. So even if I am good, I dont know how much Ill be able to make in the future
Old 09-13-2005, 04:54 PM

Take the job and keep playing poker part time. If you don't like it, you can always go back to internet poker. However, if you pass up this offer now, there is no guarantee you'll get the opportunity again.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:58 PM

It depends how old you are, do you have a family, and what kind of job it is? 100k+/year is a pretty nice salary so I'm assuming you're older and/or have very specialized skills.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends how old you are, do you have a family, and what kind of job it is? 100k+/year is a pretty nice salary so I'm assuming you're older and/or have very specialized skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bt what if I can make 100k playing cards?
Old 09-13-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be an easy easy decision. Take the job, make 100K+ and play cards for an extra 50K.

You can't honestly be thinking of passing up a sure thing. C'mon now.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course he can. Let's see, be at work at 8:00 vs. get up when you want to. Two weeks vacation vs. vacation every two months. Potential to make 1/2 a mill vs. 10,000 raise every two years. Boss vs. no boss. It may be wise to take the job, but it's far from black and white.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be an easy easy decision. Take the job, make 100K+ and play cards for an extra 50K.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is he already quit this same sure thing because he hated it. He's got a family so I hope he seriously considers going back, buts it's not a slam dunk by any means.

Best of luck making the right decision.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:09 PM

He can think of passing it up if he thinks he will be borderline miserable at the job and/or will also miss the freedom one has by JUST playing poker for income.

Not to come off as whiney or anything...but I think we all know that getting up at 6:30 or 7:00am to make the morning commute to work just SUCKS....and that MANY people would relish the opportunity to do just that (not to mention that you're just playing a freaking game for a living...which can be both good and bad).

Also - not to be a smart-ass or anything...but Sublime's approach is a reasonable one.
Yes...it's a difficult decision and will greatly effect your future (but a LOT of decisions will effect your future).

It's only life...you only get one of them. Relax and just go ahead and do whichever feels right.
If you think you could get this offer again in the future if you asked then that is something to throw into the equation too.

When you consider the number of displaced folks from New Orleans and Biloxi or lost their houses and cars...as well as all the other folks around the world (3rd world included of course) with various problems then I think the 'dilemma' of "should I make $100k at location-A or should I make $100k at location-B" will hopefully not come off as QUITE so stressful and difficult.
Just go one direction or the other...Deliberate and consider and weigh the pros and cons and then decide.

Also - there's no 'hoping' you made the 'right decision'.
There's nothing you can do now to 'know' whether or not it is right.
If you decide to turn down the job and then poker goes belly-up then that's how it goes.
Same way if you decide to take the job...decide that the 7am commute everyday is really destroying your soul (which is a MAJOR consideration I believe) and see that you probably could have made even more playing poker.

FWIW - If someone offered me a job that paid a nice salary and did NOT require 50+ hour weeks at the office (as many office jobs do) and I thought I would enjoy it then I would STRONGLY consider taking it.
The most important part for me would be the flexibility, hours involved, and the enjoyment factor.

I can always go back to poker if I decide the job sucks.
And if poker falls apart then I can just stick it out at the job even if I hate it.

I don't recall deathvalley's age and/or family/situation myself.
But obviously these are considerations too.

Good luck in your decision.

Also - when I first started playing online 'for income part-time' I was a blackjack dealer making a really piddly wage.
I was able to cut back on my hours at 'work' as my success online grew.
I went from 45 hours to 35 hours to 25 hours a week pretty much.

I doubt your job offer would allow the flexibility of hours that mine does (where I could always sign the 'early-out' sheet where the extra dealers get to go home early as the tables dry-up....or I could just trade or dump-off shifts).

but if there's room to just take the job 'semi parttime' then that might be worth considering as well (of course...that would like mean no health-benefits unfortunately).

Mostly I like the flexibility.
I don't have to mark a specific weekend on my calendar 2 months in advance and turn it into my employer to 'request off on those days' and then get some guilt-trip about how everything is going to be REALLY busy that weekend and they really can't afford to lose me...etc etc.

maybe pm a guy like bisonbison who got REALLY tired of the online-grind and went job-huntng on his own....and just stew on it for a day or two...go out for a couple drinks with friends and talk it out a little bit.