Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 01:18 PM

Default stud high

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter (use internet explorer))

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___brings-in ___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___calls ___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___raises
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds

4th Street - (3.50 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___bets

5th Street - (2.75 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___bets

6th Street - (4.75 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___raises
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___bets ___????
Old 12-09-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: stud high

I think you should check-call 6th and 7th.

Since you bet, you should probably fold. I call him down though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 01:37 PM

for me, this is 100% based on my knowledge of villain.

if no reads, then..... it depends what kind of mood in. I'll probably call it down but feel sick doing so.

- Mac
Old 12-09-2005, 01:47 PM

More likely a flush than trips, since a six was out on third and only 2 diamonds. Looks like he hit. But you're getting 8-1 to call the raise on 6th and you have 3 cards to fill out of 36 unseen, so you're 12-1 dog. So the odds don't quite make it, even saying you'll win two best on river when you fill. So, how likely is it he has the flush (or trips)? If it's 100%, you'd fold. If it's 50%, you'd call. After all, you can beat any two pair he has (even including the other two aces). Given the play so far, it seems pretty likely he's got it...but this is a really tough laydown.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the comments, all. Very helpful. I like Roland's line of check/calling 6th and 7th.

I folded 6th. I'm trying to disipline myself to fold on later streets if I think I'm beat. It didn't help that he claimed to have nines up, but I tell myself he was just messing with my head. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 02:28 PM

If he made a remark like that he’s probably also capable of making a play like that. So watch out.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:28 PM

Call down.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:33 AM

There is a chance that he could be raising eith 2 pairs+a four-flush or some similar hand.
Suppose,in a simplified example,you called his hand down when you didn't hit,& when you did fill up & check-raised he called you down.
If your hand were never good without filling up,you would lose a little less than 1 bet per hand. But if your hand were good 1 time out of 10 without improving,you would be a slight winner.
On average,the EV is so close to zero that I would rather see his hand than invite other players in the game to bluff me out in the future by throwing the hand away.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:41 AM

I think you have to call down here ... you have 3 outs, with 36 cards left in the deck, 12 to 1 shot, for about 8 to 1 odds. With the implied odds of getting in a check raise (two more bets) out of him if you fill up, plus the off chance he is bluffing here, I think its worth a call, especially if you factor in the idea that you've gained some knowledge about your opponent. Don't forget he may put you on raising with a flush draw, or he may have a pair in the hole too, and hope that his kings/queens/jacks up are good.