Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Frozen Embryo

I'm trying to play the game by your rules but I don't seem to be able to shake you into sharing them with me. So far, I have recognized that you see the world in much more black and white terms than I do which is the world I'm trying to grasp and essentially I've been looking for a definition of 'alive' and/or 'dead'. From various statements I gather that 'dead" means 'not-alive' and 'alive' means 'can be caused by natural means to be alive'.
[ QUOTE ]
Being alive is the contrary of being dead, so by definition something is either alive or dead.

[/ QUOTE ]
hmmmmm.. an interesting statement but I'll pass over it for now and move on to one that hits directly on it.
[ QUOTE ]
Once again, being alive or being dead is a condition that actually exists in entities.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the "condition" I've been asking about. What IS the condition of something that is alive? Is it red, is it torn, is it wrinkled, is it warm? Your answer so far seems to be 'it can be revived by "natural means" to being alive' ... and how do we know when it has reached that state, what are the attributes the state of being alive has, what condition qualifies it?

You seem to have a secret criteria that you're not willing to share. I've tried to ask black-white questions so I'll be able to deduce your criteria from the way you answer but so far you haven't answered any of those.

[ QUOTE ]
why should "what time the doctor should put for time of death" be a worthwhile objection in this matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's one of my black-white attempts. You keep statingt that an entity is 'either alive or dead', well, there is a body in front of you, and at 10:00 AM I'm asking "is it alive or dead". It matters because if I cut open to take out heart and it's alive I can be charged with murder. cheesh. that seems a practical matter to me.
[ QUOTE ]
In most cases proximate to death though, all that is possible is moral or practical certainty.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, then give the doctor some practical guides so he can make his decision. If he's in Bora Bora do you say "we don't have the equipment to revive him, but he's still alive because we could if this was NY, so it's not murder if you remove his heart because although he's alive he can't be revived to being alive in a practical sense." ??? [ QUOTE ]
Once one is dead one can't be returned to life by natural means. What's so hard to understand about this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, Ok, I'll admit it, I'm struggling with the concept that something is alive because it can be "returned to life" it seems entirely circular to me. Something that is alive can't be returned to life it's already in 'that state'. But what is that state? "He's alive but I returned him to life anyway" is not a thought that stablizes in my mind.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Frozen Embryo

[ QUOTE ]
Even if your brain was not exhibiting actual higher functions, the matter of your brain and the rest of your body obviously still had to be capable of it (absolutely speaking) in order for the doctors to revive you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I responded to this here.