Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Flame away.... But really.... this could use some advice.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Hadn't heard much from this guy.

SB ($42.2)
BB ($174.95)
UTG ($97)
MP ($237.63)
Hero ($100.25)
Button ($91.05)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $4, UTG calls $4.

Flop: ($15.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $20</font>, Hero calls $10.

Turn: ($55.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, UTG calls $15.

River: ($85.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Villain pushes all-in, I fold.

Edit: My bad, problem with converter.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Flame away.... But really.... this could use some advice.

Seems like a really weirdly played AA/KK. Why the hell'd you bet the turn?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:42 AM

-Is 5xBB normal raise pf?
-The turn bet seems ridiculous to me, either bet big or check.
-Getting 3:1 on river call is nice, but I cant imagine youre ahead more than 1/3rd of the time here. Id expect to be seeing JJ/QQ here
Old 07-08-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell'd you bet the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I'm a noob. Seriously, I'm just trying to make the adjustment from limit to no limit, and I've been making some donkish plays.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:17 AM

Oh. Well, you're either spewing chips or begging, pleading to be bluffed. The only time you'd ever want to make a bet like that is if you've got your opponent strongly read for overaggressive and stupid, thus enticing a bluff that you must call. I sincerely doubt that was your plan here. I think you're done with this hand on the turn, unless you really think that Villain could play a seven this way.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:12 AM

What does "haven't heard much from this guy" mean? That he his presumably tight? If so, I might consider dropping this to his flop checkraise. It is pretty unlikely here that UTG has either a 7 or a 2, so on a drawless board like this I can't think of much that a tight opponent c/r with that you beat. Of course, you are getting 4.5:1 or so on the call, so it isn't bad.

On the turn, I like a check behind. No draw, so there's no chance UTG was c/r flop on a draw, and checking to you on turn. If you think villain is weak-tight enough to fold something like JJ/QQ if you bet this turn, then a bet is fine, but it would have to be a REAL bet, something that might actually get someone to fold. And you would need a decent read to pull this, so this seems like a good time to check behind.

The way you played this, I fold the river.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:53 PM

A few things.

1) " What does "haven't heard much from this guy" mean? That he his presumably tight? If so, I might consider dropping this to his flop checkraise."

It means he hasn't done anything that really drew my attention. So, I assumed he was tight, but I really hadn't noticed anything.

2) I'm learning that in no limit, in certain situations, checking through on the turn is a valuable play. This is new to me.

3) If I do check through on the turn, and he pushes on the river, is it a call? Talking to a couple on IRC they said it would be a call.

4) I'm about 80% sure I was bluffed on this hand. About an hour later I played this hand against the same villain:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 4 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

UTG ($35.35)
Button ($266.78)
SB ($92.95)
Hero ($100.35)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, Button calls $1, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, UTG folds, Button folds, SB calls $5.

Flop: ($14) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, SB calls $15.

Turn: ($44) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB pushes, Hero calls $71.95.

River: ($115.95) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $115.95

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Qs 7s (one pair, jacks).
Hero has Qc Qd (two pair, queens and jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins $115.95. </font>