Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Xbox 360 vs. PS3

Which is going to be the better third generation console and why?
Old 10-31-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Xbox 360 vs. PS3

I don't know, but I would so do your avatar.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, but I would so do your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-01-2005, 04:29 AM

PS3 preview:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13284367@N00/57517281/

Once the PS3 arrives the competition will be over for a while...
Old 10-31-2005, 05:58 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i could see the xbox getting to at least parity, and maybe coming out on top. the big 3rd party developers have mostly converted, the development tools for the xbox are supposed to be infinitely better, and they have at least 6 months of lead time on the console release (pre-christmas should help a bit too despite the price). the boomerang controller is a bit off-putting for the ps3 too.

bear in mind that threaded game design (in order to make use of multiple cpus) is a totally new dimension. the learning curve is going to be especially steep for people in that area, and microsoft has the most dominant development environment on the market so they'll be able to leverage their experience there. if 'digital sna' or whatever it's called takes off it is supposed to be more or less enabling pc games and xbox 360 games to be interchangeable, no signifigant ports necessary. that would be a huge invitation to developers as well to have a 'free' platform release.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:02 PM

Is the 360 going to be faster? I was reading something that said it had 3 processors running at 3.2 ghz.

But the video card is only 500mhz?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the 360 going to be faster? I was reading something that said it had 3 processors running at 3.2 ghz.

[/ QUOTE ]

it has a triple core PPC running at 3.2ghz, which isn't quite the same as three processors. i would be pretty surprised if the x360 was more powerful than the ps3.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:15 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MHz are a relative measurement to the architecture of the chip. a p3 with the same MHz as a p4 will blow the p4 away, for example. that's sort of like looking at car engines and rating them by their RPM ranges and not their actual accelleration/top speed.

much less is known about the architecture of the ps3, but i think the general take is that the xbox is supposed to be faster, but not signifigantly so. as mentioned, sony is planning on having hd media instead of the 360's dvd, so that's an advantage. they're focusing on some pretty weird crap though, like dual hdtv outputs.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the ps2 can already PWN most computers at real time rendering. The computers used for rendering 3d animation at my school were way slower than the current consols (like 0.5-1 min per frame(30 frames in a second of animation)).
Old 11-01-2005, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the ps2 can already PWN most computers at real time rendering. The computers used for rendering 3d animation at my school were way slower than the current consols (like 0.5-1 min per frame(30 frames in a second of animation)).

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you talking about? comparing 3d computer rendering software to a low-resolution outdated video game console? try comparing the ps2 to ANY GAMING VIDEO CARD you can buy on the market. apples and oranges. it took six hours for very fast computers to render a frame of toy story. this does not mean the ps2 is technically superior because it can render 30fps of GTA3.