Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 05:28 AM

Default new to 7card stud hi/lo split, need help starting out

Just read the super system ( 1 ) section on split but it doesnt take into account a qualification for low, how does this effect my strategy (starting hands?,paint rule?!)... for what I noticed after one hour of play (at party 1/2$.. good place to start?) hands like KKx aren't all that terrible cause the low draws often 'bust out', is this a right assumption?

also super system is written for the high card to bring it in, how does the low card bring-in affect my stealing strategy?

thanks for any help
Old 07-22-2005, 06:31 AM

Default Re: new to 7card stud hi/lo split, need help starting out

First at party 1/2 there is no point stealing as its populated with calling stations. Secondly buy Ray Zee's book, Super System will not help you with stud/8 due to no qualifier. Big pairs in stud/8 play best heads up, many low draws can end up with 2 pair in trying to get the low by the river so you don't want many opponents with a high pair. Basic strategy is you want to play hands with scooping potential like 3/4/5 where-as a hand like 2/5/8 is really not worth playing as you are only playing for half the pot. Rolled up trips are obviously always worth playing.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:16 PM

Super System 2 has a good stud hhi-lo chapter by Todd Brunson.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:34 PM

Ray Zee's book is very good, however several of the plays will be too advanced to use at the lower levels. Todd Brunson's section of SS2 is good also. And when playing KKx i play very carefully. If anyone of the low hands catch an ace on board, remind youself they could have started with something like (A2)6 and then caught an ace to beat your lone pair of kings.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:46 PM

huge change. rolled up hands go way up. single pairs without low potential become stronger. KKX against one person as long as its not an ace up player looks quite good
Old 07-22-2005, 09:30 PM

SS1 Chaper on stud 8 is a waste of time the game is totally different now. Invest in SSII thats got the best chapter on Stud8.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basic strategy is you want to play hands with scooping potential like 3/4/5 where-as a hand like 2/5/8 is really not worth playing as you are only playing for half the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm playing Stud 8 right now for the first time (Stars .04/.08 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) I will order Ray Zee's book right now, but in the meantime as far as starting hands go...

1. So any hand that with all three cards less than 8 is not automatically good enough to be playable?

2. Is any hand with even one card above an 8 an automatic muck (aside from rolled up trips?)

3. How about 3 suited cards with a King?

3. In a nano-limit game like I'm in, muck any high pocket pairs?

4. Do you muck any paint on the fourth card? I just had 345suited, then a Q. I continued to play.

5. I just had QxQ and it was HU with low card showing so I continued to play. GooT?
Old 07-24-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Basic strategy is you want to play hands with scooping potential like 3/4/5 where-as a hand like 2/5/8 is really not worth playing as you are only playing for half the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm playing Stud 8 right now for the first time (Stars .04/.08 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) I will order Ray Zee's book right now, but in the meantime as far as starting hands go...

1. So any hand that with all three cards less than 8 is not automatically good enough to be playable?

2. Is any hand with even one card above an 8 an automatic muck (aside from rolled up trips?)

3. How about 3 suited cards with a King?

3. In a nano-limit game like I'm in, muck any high pocket pairs?

4. Do you muck any paint on the fourth card? I just had 345suited, then a Q. I continued to play.

5. I just had QxQ and it was HU with low card showing so I continued to play. GooT?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Most 8 lows are close to useless, unless you have straight or flush potential.
2. Pretty much, straight flushes are an exception.
3. I always muck here
4. Kings and sometimes queens can still be played, just try not to build a big multiway pot with them.
4. Situational, look at what everyone else caught. 345s is usually worth peeling one on fourth.
5. Yes.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:59 PM

The best thing to remember is always always play to scoop a pot. Unless you have something like (AA)7AA, you don't want to be caught going for half the pot, since lots of players going low are also shooting for straights and flushes.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:43 AM

the time you spend while playing a losing game would be better spent reading and getting a handle on the basics at least so you will lose slower.