Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2004, 11:13 AM

Default Help from chess players

I have a 10 year old son who has become very interested in chess. He has gone to some camps and played in some tournaments. He is really enjpying himself. I called his school to find out if there were any school sponsored teams he could join. There are not any that work into his schedule so I am thinking about starting a chess club at his school. The problem is that I know very little about chess. I know how the pieces move and can think about two moves ahead (that's why I play hold'em) but my son consistently kicks my butt.

He goes to typical inner city public school. They have no money to hire a coach so it looks as if it is up to me.

Can anyone recommend some good beginner to intermediate books on how to play and if possible teach chess? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Help from chess players

Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess is probably the ideal book for him (and you;-)) at this point. It has good emphasis on common combinations, and is laid out in a format which includes practice/test questions with full diagrams.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:11 PM

Here is the website for National Master Dan Heisman. He is well known chess instructor, and is very big on the scholastic scene. You cant go wrong with his website.
Dan Heisman

Here is a website that I am part of the staff of called Chessville. I manage the links there and we have some great scholastic links there. Please visit our forums there for more info.

Chessville
Old 08-21-2004, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 10 year old son who has become very interested in chess. He has gone to some camps and played in some tournaments. He is really enjpying himself. I called his school to find out if there were any school sponsored teams he could join. There are not any that work into his schedule so I am thinking about starting a chess club at his school. The problem is that I know very little about chess. I know how the pieces move and can think about two moves ahead (that's why I play hold'em) but my son consistently kicks my butt.

He goes to typical inner city public school. They have no money to hire a coach so it looks as if it is up to me.

Can anyone recommend some good beginner to intermediate books on how to play and if possible teach chess? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
If your son is interested and good at chess he is gonna make a great hold'em player.

As for books, just do a search on Amazon. Really, having a school chess club is probally going to be pointless because your son will be X times better than the other kids and probally will get bored with them.

what city do you live in? chances are there is a chess club around somewhere at a library or a barnes and noble or maybe he could attend a chess club at another school.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:50 PM

i wouldnt want to put any money in bobby's pockets...
Old 08-21-2004, 02:00 PM

Well I considered that, but the book is really really good for someone at that level and a bit higher. Also I don't think the amount of royalty he gets on that book is going to make any financial difference to him whatsoever.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:58 PM

as far as books for him, the aforementioned fischer book is good, Seirwan's Winning Chess Tactics is a more complete book on the subject that helped me out. As far as teaching goes, some of the best coaches aren't very good players. All you have to do is give them instruction on basic openings and tactics and they should be on the right path.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:01 PM

Remember this: only the top 30 chess players in the world make a living at it.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:10 PM

just have him play online- and he can hopefully teach himself. Yahoo chess is good, there is always someone better than you out there.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:24 PM

actually, I'd have him play at www.freechess.org, the best free site there is out there.