Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Computer Question

I am going to buy myself amd my family a new computer for xmas. I know nothing about computers except where the on-off button is. This is what I want it to do.

Acess internet (i have time warner cable)
Use Word, xcel,outlook etc
Have enough memory for computer gamers for the kids
Use Party Poker (I usually play two tables at once)

Do I just buy off the shelf? What processers and speed should I be looking for? All helpful non sarcastic answers are appreciated. The non- helpful and sarcastic will of course be tolerated, and if funny-- appreciated.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Computer Question

The most cpu intense program you are going to be using is gaming, so that makes the AMD athlon an easy choice for a CPU. The athlon costs less and is faster than the pentium at gaming. It depends on what games you will be playing but I would recommend getting atleast 512 MB of RAM, but a gig will be nice for all of the newest games.

Will post more later..... have to go.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:02 PM

if you have a friend that knows anything about computers here is what i do for my family members who need a computer.

1)goto frys or microcenter or some other giant pc place that sells motherboards and ram
2)i just bought a 2.2 gig celeron processor pc with 128 mb of ram(upgradeable to 2 gigs) with lindows on it for 279$(no monitor)
3)i then bought a 79$ 128 mb graphics card and 512 mb of ram for as cheap as possible(make sure it fits your pc-ask the people that work there)
4)got home and put windows 2k on it and office 2k after wipeing it clean(20%+ of all pcs cost is windows itself)-i own these cds already

you do not have to do step 3 from your description of yourself unless you want to play some of the higher end games)

or if you dont know anyone just buy a 499 dollar dell that comes with a monitor(this might be best for you since you will get customer service with it.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:44 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

p4-based celerons are abysmal performers
Old 11-17-2004, 06:09 PM

You 2 options. You go for close to bleeding edge hardware which will allow you to play the most intensive new games out there. Or you save 3-5 hundred and get a pc good enough to play most new games and everything else you mentioned.
I agree with astro, do not get a celeron - ever, AMD are good but I only buy pentium. Keep in mind that a p4 2.4 Ghz is MORE than enough to do almost everything except graphics rendering ( hard core video games and graphical editing).
Look for something like this p4 2.4 with 800bus speed , 512 RAM is plently but more is always nice, ATI video card 128MB is enough for most new games , sata hard drive 80 or 120 GB, on board network adapter is fine ( stay clear of onboard video cards though!) on board sound card is fine, and the monitor is up to you . A decent 17 LCD is really nice but is 1-3 hundred more than the clunky CRT ones. If you get this which I can get in canada for about 1000USD you will have a better pc than most people.
If you really dont have anyone in your circle who could help you a Dell is always a good choice.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
p4-based celerons are abysmal performers

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. however for that price the pc is fine for most people. it plays everquest 2 just fine with no problems whatsoever. it is def not going to compete with a high end gaming machine but it meets all the requirements for the latest games(i havent tested doom 3 or counter strike 2 on it yet) for under 500$. the 500$ dell is going to still need 75$ graphic card and 75-150$ worth of ram and it will probably have a celeron as well.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:29 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

Includes Latest Tech: DDR2, PCI Express, Serial ATA HD
Dimension 4700 P4 530 3Ghz/800Mhz Bus Desktop Free 512MB DDR2-400/80GB Serial ATA HD, 48x CDRW, Free Dell 720 Color Printer, Ethernet, 6 months ISP, Word Perfect, XP Home SP2, 2yr warranty $449 after $150 rebate, shipped free. Tax is charged. Ends 11/17

that one would just need a video card