Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 05:46 AM

Default Tourney End

I've been rolling this last hand around in my head for the past day or two, so I thought I'd put it up here and see what you guys think about it.

Four players left in the tourney. I'm 2nd in chip position with maybe 290K, the guy in third has maybe 260, and the guy in 4th has about 150, the chip leader has about 350K. Blinds are 8K/16K.

I'm in SB with AKs, the guy in third, who's overly loose and aggressive, and who's gotten kinda lucky up to this point is UTG. He raises to 32K, the chip leader folds, and I feel fairly certain I've got him beat, and that he'll call with any decent hand. I reraise all-in, and the BB calls (that worries me because he's been playing a bit tighter than the situation calls for). UTG also calls with AJo, and the BB has QQ. The flop comes KJx, but a Q spikes on the river, so I'm basically out in third.

Here's what I'm trying to decide -- should I have just raised in SB instead of going all-in? I'm thrilled to get all-in versus UTG, but obviously I didn't want a 3 way race. If I'd just reraised, I could see a scenario where we get to the flop, it comes K high, I check, BB checks because of the K, UTG goes all-in with AJ, I reraise all-in, and the QQ folds (?)...

Hard to say -- the QQ might have reraised all-in preflop anyway in this scenario or committed himself with a bet on the flop and the results are the same, but here's the basic question: given my chip position, am I better off just raising and possibly seeing a flop without going all-in here?

Thanks,

Eric