Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Some rambling/thoughts questions on 5stud

I play 5stud about once a month when between games, ranging from small NL games to 10-20$ limit, going over my statking yesterday I realized that I've never had a losing session in this game (granted 19 sessions doesn't mean all that much.)

Anyway, the game is horribly boring when played with good players, but rather exciting against fish. I find that I'm often giving players credit for "knowing something that I don't" when I raise with (K)A and they call me next with (x)9.

I currently play the game very tightly and rarely enter a pot without a pair or a hand that can beat everyones board (Ax,Kx) I always open for a raise and keep on driving until I'm beat.

Some thoughts, please correct me if I'm wrong:
-It is almost always incorrect to chase in this game unless your opponent will go broke with a big stack in NL.
-Hand selection is 80% of the game.
-The best hand should check the river quite frequently.
-You should bet the high board almost everytime.

Are there any good books on this game? Out of print is a-ok.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Some rambling/thoughts questions on 5stud

Hey Aces welcome back. When's the next absolute plo sat.?

Below is a link to a thread on 5stud that includes a few book recommendations (all out of print i believe and primarily concerned with limt 5stud). I haven't played much so I don't feel qualified to respond to the outline of your basic strategy but it doesn't conflict with anything I've heard/read/experienced with the game.
link
Old 03-16-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The best hand should check the river quite frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Hold 'Em, you know when you have the nuts. In 5cs you know when you have an "immortal". An immortal is when your hand is definitely better than anyone else's. For example:

you: [A] Kd Ah Q 3
opponent [?] Ks Qc 2 3

He can not have you beat. This occurs often.

In limit 5cs, do not ever bet into your opponent on the river when he can know if he has you beat. Example:

you [K] As Ac K 7
fish [?] 5s 6c 7 8

There is no point in betting this river. Unless he is really terrible (and these people do exist), there is no way he is calling if he can't beat the pair you have showing. If he has a 4 or 9, he can raise with impunity (he has an immortal). So there is no point in betting.

I don't know anything about pot limit, but the same concept should apply. You should still check, but you will face a lot more bluffs (I suppose).

Please understand that the fish scenario was just a simple example. It's not likely that a player would chase a straight in 5CS. The concept of facing a player who can know for certain if he has you beat is the important thing.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please understand that the fish scenario was just a simple example. It's not likely that a player would chase a straight in 5CS. The concept of facing a player who can know for certain if he has you beat is the important thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

There a lots of 5stud fish chasing straights and flushes.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Below is a link to a thread on 5stud that includes a few book recommendations (all out of print i believe and primarily concerned with limt 5stud).

[/ QUOTE ]

They all contain advice on Big Bet 5stud. Yardley's chapter on 5stud is primarily aimed at No Limit 5stud.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the link, beset, much abliged. . .

Let me know when you've recovered enough to play in another PLO satellite.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the link, beset, much abliged. . .

Let me know when you've recovered enough to play in another PLO satellite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. I'm over it. I played 40 heads up PLO sngs after that to get over the trauma [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] With the exception of dogsballs schooling my sorry ass I was practically undefeated. I no longer fear the Big Dave.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] b7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2005, 03:16 PM

"Some thoughts, please correct me if I'm wrong:
-It is almost always incorrect to chase in this game unless your opponent will go broke with a big stack in NL."

In limit you can sometimes chase when there's enough uncertainty as to whether your opponent really has what he represents and you're not a huge dog even if he does. If you're too easy to bluff out of pots, better players will realize this and take shots at you. But if you're sure your opponent has a better hand it's almost never correct to call, regardless of the betting structure.

"-Hand selection is 80% of the game."

In limit as long as you play tight on second and third and use common sense on fourth and fifth you will win money almost every time against weak opponents. In NL/PL, reading players becomes much more important.

"-The best hand should check the river quite frequently."

In many cases, you know you won't get a call if you bet but a check might induce a bluff.

"-You should bet the high board almost everytime."

Slowplays can be profitable against certain opponents. In limit some players are tight on second but then call too much on the later streets, so you should often slowplay high pairs against them. In big-bet whether you bet out, check-raise, or slowplay a strong hand depends on the situation and your opponents. The chance of your strong hand being outdrawn is not nearly as high as in most forms of poker, making slowplays much more viable in 5-card stud than in games like pot-limit Omaha high.